Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://classiccycles.org/media//DIR..._1296993/483c729cd55407e6ffff878cffffe41e.pdf
I have a CB550 that I have been messing with for at least 3 years. Just out of being stubborn and wanting to fix it myself and having other bikes to ride is why I did not take it to the shop.The bike has a wiring issue that will stop you dead in your tracks. Turn the key "on'" and the main fuse is toast. Dead short. Oh,if only I could find that bad wire or something a PO did to the bike. The only clues I have is handlebar switches in pieces and they did get hot and are pretty much toast.

Honda wiring has a lot of different colors on their wires and it does not seem to make sense why a run of wiring can change colors so many times. The chart posts the USE of the colored wire Where the wire starts or comes FROM and the place where it does its work, or goes TO. To those who do home wiring,To and From translate roughly to Line and Load. This should also be useful in performing voltage drop testing, which is a sticky worth reading.

Here is how I found my problem. I hooked the battery to ground, but placed a 10 amp fuse inline from the positive post to the main [red] line at the fuse panel. Turned the switch and popped the fuse. The load wireds coming FROM the switch were brown/white stripe which are lighting only and run many places on the bike. The color chart describes uses like running lights,gage lights,tail light, and going to a brown lead [color change] to the tail lights.

I removed the 5 gang spade connector and placed a jumper wire from the red fuse box switch feed to the brown/white switch and the running lights came on just as they would have with the ign switch installed. I Then jumped from the red switch feed to the black wire. POP! The fuse was out. The Wiring chart for Black wires are all switched leads from Ign. switch to the fuse panel secondary fuses, handlebar switch,starter switch.and voltage regulator. I was confident that by the looks of what the PO had done to the control switches that disconnecting the black wire bullet connectors to the handlebar controls, the problem would be solved. After blowing three more fuses, I disconnected the black wire at the voltage regulator,and the fuse held.

After combing through chicken nests of wires,looking for something compromised, and not finding anything,that simple wiring chart and a few test leads found it to be a shorted voltage regulator pretty quickly. Now I will buy some parts and see if I can get a very nice bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I always say, the most important tools are a good wiring diagram, and service manual. It's great yours led you to the problem.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always say, the most important tools are a good wiring diagram, and service manual. It's great yours led you to the problem.
Well,the shop wiring diagram from the service manual really did not help me "see" the problem. The wiring color chart is something that an individual put together and it is around in one form or another different places on the net. I am not saying that factory wiring charts are not good for a lot of things. But at least for me,in this case the simple chart I referenced worked quickly and produced results. It is a sort of cheat sheet for us who struggle with wiring issues. The chart I referenced is supposed to be good for all Hondas of any year. Not every single wire color/stripe color will be there, but knowing where the line and load flows go helped me a lot

Guys like you, Wintersol are the people I rely on to give correct information .every single time. That makes this forum tops in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Unless...
the wiring diagram in the manual is wrong, like say the one for the Yamaha XS1100 which places a blue wire(hot light wire) where the black one(ground) is supposed to be. oopes..

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Unless...
the wiring diagram in the manual is wrong, like say the one for the Yamaha XS1100 which places a blue wire(hot light wire) where the black one(ground) is supposed to be. oopes..
Is this Clymer's manual, or an actual factory manual? Clymer's is noted for this kind of error, but my original Honda 450 manual has its share, too.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
The problem I have with wiring diagrams is that you have about 600 parallel lines with a hair space between them. I tend to get lost along the way and have to go back several times to figure out WTF is going on.

All this got solved when I bought a copier for my business and did enlargements.

Astigmatism stinks.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Wyring

I have the diagrams for my XS11s and they are hard to follow. Changing wyre colours seems silly to me. Also some of the striped wyres are hard to determine their colour. Multiple inline connection joints also seems silly.

Best wyring diagram was in the owners manual for my 53 Bentley. Wyre colours were easy to distinguish, one was even bright pink, another canary yellow. Henry Royce was an electrical engineer before building cars.

On the board my depth sounder froze, so I decided to pull the fuse. Had left the fuse box guide at home, so I started at the top of one side and started removing fuses. Third down on the right was the one. After that the sounder went back to work. Has a self diagnostic check that was okay.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts