Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just purchased a Honda cd 200 1980
It didn't start at first and discovered it had a plug down, bought two new plugs and it fired up, seemed to run fine for about half hour then started misfiring, put some new points in and it started but sluggish then stopped altogether, now for the interesting bit, got a spark at the points but not at the plugs until I move the plug slightly away from engine and the the plug sparks across the gap but as soon as I put plug back on the engine nothing, I have bought new coil and condenser and still the same HELP

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Were the plugs still nice and white (like new) after the 1/2 hour of running, or were they wet and black (fouled)? If a NEW plug acts the same way I would guess you have a bad ground at the frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jag 13, but I think I have sorted it, I cleaned and checked everything and found the new plugs I fitted had failed, the bike was running rubbish and backfiring so maybe burnt the new plug out, found an old plug cleaned it up and I got a nice blue spark, so will order 2 new ones and start again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all
Going back to the 1980 honda cd 200
I bought new plugs and had the bike running for half hour popping and farting then it cut out again, I am sure the timing is out but checked the plugs again and they have stopped working, put an old plug in the cap, kicked it over and got a spark but nothing from the new plugs, this is the second pair of plugs it has done this to, any suggestions why it keeps burning out the plugs, they look brand new but just don't spark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda cd 200 Benly

going back to my last posts, could it be the voltage regulator that is the problem ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda not running.

It didn't start at first and discovered it had a plug down, bought two new plugs and it fired up, seemed to run fine for about half hour then started misfiring, put some new points in and it started but sluggish then stopped altogether, now for the interesting bit, got a spark at the points but not at the plugs until I move the plug slightly away from engine and the the plug sparks across the gap but as soon as I put plug back on the engine nothing, I have bought new coil and condenser and still the same HELP
If the bikes not been running for some time, The old fuel will have gummed the carbs up and you will need to strip them down and clean all the jets etc Its not just a spark you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned carb and put new fuel in tank
I have bought new plugs and It will probably start with them, then it will backfire for a while and then stop and the plugs stop working but points spark, if I put an old plug in I can get a spark from them when I rest it on the engine and kick it over, driving me mad grrrrr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi could anyone help me with the paint code for my 1980 cd 200, I think the colour is candy sword blue but paint suppliers want the code

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,313 Posts
Google Color rite on the internet. They carry motorcycle paint and probably have the code,

·
Registered
4 Posts
honda cd 200

hi I have this exact problem with mine as below can any one help

Jacko boy is offline Add to Jacko boy's Reputation Report Post
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi after a bit of help
I have just bought a bike that was imported from Germany about 10 years ago it is a 1980 bike that needs a total restoration, I have sent for the papers to register it in the UK and I have the German log book but it is saying I have to contact NOVA to pay any import tax owed has anyone else come across this before surely this must have been done when the bike was brought over, any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Another thing to check on motorcycles that"'Eat" plugs is running too lean. There will be a light white deposit that is really not very noticeable on the tip, but it will build up enough to foul the plug. Voice of experience with a CB450 Nighthawk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi after a bit of help
I have just bought a bike that was imported from Germany about 10 years ago it is a 1980 bike that needs a total restoration, I have sent for the papers to register it in the UK and I have the German log book but it is saying I have to contact NOVA to pay any import tax owed has anyone else come across this before surely this must have been done when the bike was brought over, any help would be appreciated
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts