Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Both my son-in-law and I (71 and still riding!!) have 2006 HONDA CBF250's. They are great commuter bikes and easy even for me to move around the garage. BUT...the one has developed a starting problem. Previously it started with no problem at all, but recently has required prolonged cranking to start. Fitted new battery and seemed better for a week or so, but then problem returned. Fitted new plug; no improvement. BUT checking closely it was evident that whilst the starter motor is turning the engine over there is no spark. But when the starter button was released and the bike continued to turn before stopping, then there was a healthy spark!! It was as if the starter was drawing excess power and not allowing sufficient for the ignition circuit to spark.
So dismantled starter motor, fitted new roller bearing and tried again. Still only sparks after starter button released.
The manual suggests Ignition Pulse Generator, or Ignition Coil or Ignition Control Module. All of which are expensive items to "buy-to-try". So has anyone experienced this problem before? Any suggestions as to where to look next??
Thanks in anticipation. Bryn

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,877 Posts
Do either one get wet much? A long shot would be the kill switch having a bit of corrosion in it. It's not sealed and contacts can get dingy. It's something easy to disassemble and clean.

You might get lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that idea, CRracer712. I'll check it out over the next few days.
Must admit that I am not very good at navigating my way around this forum!! Must be my old age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that idea, CRracer712. I'll check it out over the next few days.
Must admit that I am not very good at navigating my way around this forum!! Must be my old age.
2 Sept 2020:- Checked out the kill switch as suggested. no obvious problems and no improvement. Put the NEW battery on slow trickle charge overnight and found bike starts first time!!..Had a 50 mile run and started ok several times during and after run. Could it be that so-called "fully charge and ready to use " new batteries are not quite so ready to use as suggested??? Will watch closeley for any changes.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,877 Posts
Any battery should be fully charged before putting in to operation. Otherwise it's putting undue burden on the alternator.

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
Could it be that so-called "fully charge and ready to use " new batteries are not quite so ready to use as suggested???
Absolutely. Most likely batteries are in fact fully charged when they put them on the shelf waiting to be sold. But how long ago might that have been? Always charge a new battery on slow charge for 24 hours before installation. Battery maintainer works well for this. You will have a battery capable of going many years by doing so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts