Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a couple bikes owned by same guy. He has too many bikes and I posted a wanted add and he replied.

I have not seen them in person cause he is out of town right now but they are in storage . I have seen pics.

1 is a 1993 Honda cb750. Was bought new and sat in a collectors storage till 2008. when the guy I am talking to bought it in 2008 it had less than 1K miles on it. it has now 14K on it and it looks brand new. beautiful for its age. he wants $1800 for it.

2nd is a 2000 Harley Sportster. its also in great shape and has 19K on it. he wants $2000 for it.

I talked to him on the phone a bit. I Havnt owned a bike since 1997. I have ridden a few since but I would consider myself a new owner . I dont know anything about bikes as i am a car person but the guy told me the Honda has 4 carbs and th Harley has 1 so it seems already that the simplier the bike the better.

just looking for opinions. the Honda appears ready to roll. new tires . The harley needs a new rear tire.

I am sure the man has done all his own work on the bikes but at this point I dont know when regular maintenance was done.

I know it will be a matter of actually seeing and sitting on them to decide but I am trying not to get something I will regret.

I want to use the bike so I can stop putting as many miles on my car at work. figure i would enjoy the ride at same time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is the Sportster the 883 or the 1200?
With the current information provided, I'd probably go for the Sportster, for a couple of reasons. 1) it's newer, and will probably have less 'maintenance' that will need to be done to it to get/keep it running right away. 2) It has nearly twice the engine size, and you probably won't feel like you need/want to 'upgrade' within less than a year. 3) you will find a LOT more 'parts' found for the Sportster than are available for the 'older' CB750. Some parts you may not even be able to get at all for the old Honda. 4) with the Honda sitting for so long, it may need other work done to it soon, which could end up being very costly to you. 5) since the prices are almost the same, you get more 'bang for your buck' with the Sportster.

Don't worry about the Sportster being 'too much' bike, even for a beginner. It should be fine, especially if it's the 883.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Sportster the 883 or the 1200?
With the current information provided, I'd probably go for the Sportster, for a couple of reasons. 1) it's newer, and will probably have less 'maintenance' that will need to be done to it to get/keep it running right away. 2) It has nearly twice the engine size, and you probably won't feel like you need/want to 'upgrade' within less than a year. 3) you will find a LOT more 'parts' found for the Sportster than are available for the 'older' CB750. Some parts you may not even be able to get at all for the old Honda. 4) with the Honda sitting for so long, it may need other work done to it soon, which could end up being very costly to you. 5) since the prices are almost the same, you get more 'bang for your buck' with the Sportster.

Don't worry about the Sportster being 'too much' bike, even for a beginner. It should be fine, especially if it's the 883.

its a 88s not a 1200 on the harley. as far as I know both have been maintained and aside from a battery on the honda it needs nothing.

the harley needs a new rear tire

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The pre-2004 Sportsters will vibrate quite a bit at higher RPM. They don't have the rubber mounted engine of the newer ones.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
$2000 for the Sporty is a great price. Especially if all it needs is a tire. Very simple machine to operate and maintain. I have both HD and Honda in my garage (as well as Yamaha and Suzuki), so I'm not saying it simply out if bias. I'd go with the Harley if I was in your shoes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sounds like to good deals. I would ride both of them and see which one feels best for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If those prices are real and not a scam like it sounds, I would buy them both and sell one to make some money.
If I had enough cash, I might be tempted to do the same! Since I don't, though, and it sounds like OP doesn't either, I'd still stick with the Sporty.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
If I were you I'd get the Sportster, then send me the number of the guy with the Nighthawk. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts