Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Just picked up a CB650SC, and like many (it seems), it has some electrical issues.

So, to start, I hook up the cables, and power is immediately sent to the starter, no matter where the ignition switch and/or starter button are. With that being said, there is no spark.

What do you all suggest I look into?...Does it sound like an ignition switch/starter button failure? A regulator failure? Or am I completely off on both of those guesses? ;)

I'd appreciate any help I can get! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bad ground is not going to cause this issue.

Something is causing the contacts inside the starter relay to close whenever there is power on the bike.

It could be that the contacts in the relay are stuck together, or an electrical issue.

First, get your multimeter and do a resistance check at the two large posts on the relay (with the electrical system turned off).

The resistance between the two posts should be infinity, as the contacts should not be engaged at this time.

If you see a low resistance, it means the relay contacts are stuck, replace the relay.

Disconnect the large cable that goes from the relay to the starter motor, so you don`t have to worry about the engine cranking while you power the bike up.

Connect the battery cables (positive first, then negative of course).

Now check for voltage at the small wire that goes into the relay (the wire that comes from the starter switch on the handlebar).

You should only see voltage in that wire while the starter button is pressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts