Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bikes been stood some time, so come to it the other day and fitted a new battery fully charged , but the bike won't turn over when pressing starter button the lights dim slightly on the dash, but I get no click from the starter relay and the starter motor won't turn over, tested the motor and it spins fine continuity and power to both the starter relay and starter motor. When bridging the starter starter relay with a screwdriver the bike turns over so presume the problem is upstream of this in the starter circuit somewhere but don't know where? I've taken apart the rh handle bar switch and traced the 2 wires from the starter switch/button to where it plugs into the top of the starter relay, power and continuity there as well from the starter switch. Pressing the starter button with probes from a multimeter also confirms there's voltage on the 2 wires at the back of the starter switch, all fuses are fine as well but at a loss as to what to check next. The only other thing to add is when bridging the relay with a screwdriver it knocked out the neutral light but the switch is fine as is the bulb in the dash and all wiring connected between the bulb connector at the switch and fuse box.

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
355 Posts
hi, great troubleshooting!!

Looks like you traced everything down to broken starter solenoid. Do this final-test to confirm:

1. measure voltage at B-terminal of starter solenoid.

2. measure voltage at M-terminal of starter solenoid when pushing START button (needs connector plugged back in)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply but the fact that the solenoid when bridging it with a screwdriver which then turns the starter motor over suggests to me that its working fine. But it is strange that am not getting any clicking noise from the solenoid when pressing the starter switch, the solenoid is new also I only recently bought it. I will measure the voltage at the terminals as you suggest though thanks, no voltage when pressing the starter switch would indicate the solenoid is faulty then??

·
Registered
355 Posts
When you bridge B to M terminals, you are bypassing starter-solenoid and connecting starter-motor directly to battery. Doesn't matter if solenoid is good or bad, you've removed it from circuit. Do this test:
  • disconnect and remove starter solenoid and place far away from bike (to protect it)
  • firmly touch 2 big wires together that used to bolt to B & M terminals
  • what happens?

Ah no click, could be bad solenoid. Let's go further upstream to confirm (along with previous tests):

1. measure voltage going into start-button. Volts = ???
2. measure voltage going out of start-button when pressed. Volts = ??
3. measure voltage going into starter-solenoid on start-button wire. Volts = ???

Tests #2 & 3 verifies that you have power leaving start-button and arriving at starter-solenoid. Checks that wiring in between is Ok. If power leaves start-button, but doesn't reach starter-solenoid, then something's wrong in between. Most electrical problems on bikes are due to bad or corroded wiring or connectors. Very seldom is it actually bad or failed parts.

BTW, your starter-solenoid connector is OK? not buggered like this?

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
455 Posts
When you bridge the B to M terminals, you are bypassing starter solenoid and connecting starter-motor directly to battery. Doesn't matter if solenoid is good or bad, you've removed it from circuit. Do this test:
  • disconnect and remove starter solenoid and place far away from bike (to protect it)
  • what happens?

Ah no click, let's go further upstream:

3. measure voltage going into starter-solenoid on start-button wire. Volts = ???

tests #2 & 3 verifies that you have power leaving start-button and arriving at starter-solenoid. Checks that wiring in between is Ok. If power leaves start-button, but doesn't reach starter-solenoid, then something's wrong in between. Most electrical problems on bikes are due to bad or corroded wiring or connector. Very seldom is it actually bad or failed parts.

Hey , I had one that looked just like that ...... LOL ....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you bridge B to M terminals, you are bypassing starter-solenoid and connecting starter-motor directly to battery. Doesn't matter if solenoid is good or bad, you've removed it from circuit. Do this test:
  • what happens?

Ah no click, could be bad solenoid. Let's go further upstream to confirm (along with previous tests):

Tests #2 & 3 verifies that you have power leaving start-button and arriving at starter-solenoid. Checks that wiring in between is Ok. If power leaves start-button, but doesn't reach starter-solenoid, then something's wrong in between. Most electrical problems on bikes are due to bad or corroded wiring or connectors. Very seldom is it actually bad or failed parts.

OK so this morning removed starter solenoid and put the 2 terminals together and the bike turned over, I've got 14 and half volts going into the starter button and the same number also going out when pressing starter switch. 14.50 volts at the wire going into the solenoid from the starter switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
14. 50 volts going into the starter solenoid when pressing the starter switch I should add, shouldn't this be a permanent live feed or are volts only supplied to the solenoid when pressing the starter switch?

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
455 Posts
Constant voltage on 1 large pole . Other , going to starter is only active when the button is pushed . Activating solenoid ....

·
Registered
355 Posts
14. 50 volts going into the starter solenoid when pressing the starter switch I should add, shouldn't this be a permanent live feed or are volts only supplied to the solenoid when pressing the starter switch?
B-terminal should have constant power as it's directly connected to +battery terminal
yel/red wire from start-button should only have power when button is pressed.

OK so this morning removed starter solenoid and put the 2 terminals together and the bike turned over, I've got 14 and half volts going into the starter button and the same number also going out when pressing starter switch. 14.50 volts at the wire going into the solenoid from the starter switch.
Ok, you've confirmed that ALL switches and wiring in starter circuit works:
  • Power shows up at activation yel/red terminal when pushing start button.
  • You've also confirmed big battery cables between battery to solenoid and from solenoid to starter are OK my manually connecting them.
  • Also confirmed that starter spins engine when power is applied.

So only thing that's not working is starter-solenoid because it's not conecting battery to starter when triggered by start-button. Solenoid can fail many ways:

• click but no power sent across
  • no click, and no power sent across

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B-terminal should have constant power as it's directly connected to +battery terminal
yel/red wire from start-button should only have power when button is pressed.

Ok, you've confirmed that ALL switches and wiring in starter circuit works:
  • Power shows up at activation yel/red terminal when pushing start button.
  • You've also confirmed big battery cables between battery to solenoid and from solenoid to starter are OK my manually connecting them.
  • Also confirmed that starter spins engine when power is applied.

So only thing that's not working is starter-solenoid because it's not conecting battery to starter when triggered by start-button. Solenoid can fail many ways:

• click but no power sent across
  • no click, and no power sent across
OK many thanks danno, I think I have a spare laying around somewhere I'll give it a try let you know how it goes, things virtually brand new as well oh well there cheap enough to buy and replace. (y)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Be careful of B and M terminal orientation. They can be reversed on different solenoids. This had caused many months of head-scratching for many people. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No idea how starter (M)otor got to be convention.
OK so come back to the bike to day after finding my solenoid in storage. Removed the one on the bike and replaced with the spare I have here. Connections all tight terminals are all correct come to button on handle bar and pushed the button and nothing. Man this has got me scratching my head 2 solenoids can't be faulty so what else am I missing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
OK so come back to the bike to day after finding my solenoid in storage. Removed the one on the bike and replaced with the spare I have here. Connections all tight terminals are all correct come to button on handle bar and pushed the button and nothing. Man this has got me scratching my head 2 solenoids can't be faulty so what else am I missing.
New component, with work done on wiring. So need to test and measure like before to troubleshoot:

1. everything OFF, measure voltage at B-terminal of starter solenoid.

2. measure voltage at M-terminal of starter solenoid (needs connector plugged back in)

3. measure voltage at M-terminal when pushing START button

4. measure voltage at yel/red wire of starter-solenoid when pushing START button.

5. measure resistance between green wire of starter-solenoid to chassis-ground. Ohms = ???

·
Registered
455 Posts
Test light . 1 large positive ... , push button pushed ,. Light on small wire ., And it then energizes the other large post ..... going to starter ....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts