Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I need some help. I bought this '86 CB450 from my uncle for about 100 bucks. It's a fixer upper. Problem is that it doesn't have a key. I want to start it up so I can assess the condition of the motor. I've been trying to hotwire it to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

· Biker
1,891 Posts
Hello Cirus61, do your self a BIG favor, go get a service manual for it, I'd say right now things are probably in pretty good condition, electrically speaking,but might not stay that way, trying to figure it out. Do you see a plug where the ignition sw. is supposed to be? I had a Honda Cl 360 yrs ago, bought new and never had trouble cept 1ce when charge rectifier went on the fritz.

BUT if you want, I can tell you a few things that might help. There has to be a solenoid or heavy relay for the starter. There will be a heavy wire from BATTERY+ to it and a wire of equal size from it to the starter. If there is only one heavy wire from Bat+ and NO other wires, then Honda is taking off from the Bat side of the solenoid or relay. there could be 2 wires coming from this relay or contactor, most likely one is for the charging system and could go to a funny looking thing with square fins on it and wires too. that would be the rectifier. the other wire I am sure goes to the ignition switch then to some fuses. There might not really be a place for fuses but in-line fuse holders, looks like you have two of them and have gotten into the so called bucket where headlight goes. These might not be fuses either, but factory made fusible links and are of a value that will allow loads( like lights and horn) to work without overloading wires. in case of a 'Short' those wires will heat up VERY QUICKLY and catch fire, without fuses or the fusible link/s

look for 2 wires coming from L.side crank case, there should be two wires coming from it, that is most likely the 'stator' and the two wires would go to that funny looking thing with the square fins on it, that is a selenium rectifier, turns A.C. from the stator to direct current D.C. to charge the battery.

Feel free to leave a personal message, I am NOT a motorcycle mechanic but have considerable years working with electricity and have done electrical work on that 91 Sporty1200, worked on my truck and railroad locomotives.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Honda wiring colors

Satanic Mechanic - Honda Wiring Codes and Colors

This will get you started.. The first thing I do when mucking about with wiring is PROTECT that wiring against the magic smoke coming out of the wiring I do this by placing an inline fuse of 5 amps in the + side of the wiring--right out of the battery on a jumper wire. If you make a mistake and short it out, no wires will burn.Once you do your testing, increase to ten amps. Use a multi meter and ground one lead against the engine. only one of those pins should be hot from the battery. Looking at your color chart, it should be the red wire. when you turn the key to ign. The switch itself distributes the power to several different points at once. when you thumb the starter button, It connects to ground as the hot side of the solenoid is already hooked up.

If you do not really understand how this wiring chart works, I would recommend that you get a replacement key switch. They make them aftermarket for reasonable money and a bunch of Hondas use the same switches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.