Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on restoring my first ever bike a Honda CB400 Hawk II, after a lot of work ive gotten the bike mostly together and noticed one thing when i clicked through my gears (while the bike was off, not moving) when hitting the gear lever i am only able to get the confirming "CLick" 3 times. Although im not sure without opening the tranny i have to assume this is 1st, N 2nd and 3rd. Starting from the bottom and pulling up on the lever theres a small amount of free movement, then resistance, then a confirming snap back and a noticable "click" from the engine. Putting me in what i think is neutral. i can do the same into 2nd and 3rd but when i pull up again its just all free range of motion for an inch or two and then i hit a barrier, It feels mechanical not like spring pressure you can move by pushing harder. I can do this with or without the clutch in dosent change anything (dont know if that means my clutch is screwed two or if the issues are related) any insight is helpful as ive search for a similar problems without any decent results coming up. Any help or insight is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
The transmission gears have to be turning for proper shifting, because of how the gears are engaged. If the rear wheel is connected to the transmission output, you can rotate it as you shift, and it should go through all the gears.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. I've had bikes do just what you're saying, but as soon as I start it up and head out on the highway, all the gears are there.

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
Wot Wintr said.
When riding, be sure to remove your foot away from the lever after shifting.. That lets the gearbox get ready for the next shift.
There are more expensive technical words than get ready.

UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts