Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you able to take this bike on your standard highway where the speed limit is 65mph? What is the max speed on this bike? I've heard it can't keep up too well

:confused:

·
8,621 Posts
Not so:)

The Honda CB300F will easily cruise at 75 indicated on the Interstate. At that speed though it is turning 7,500 rpm's. All of the bikes in this class, like the Ninja 300 and the new Yamaha 320cc mini-crotch rocket are all at the same rpm's at that speed. All have a top speed of 100mph+-, with a 90 lb midget but I'm sure not with me sitting in the Jockey's saddle.

To me, all of these bikes would make nice rides for the short commute if you were diminutive and not 6ft-5in and 350 lbs like me:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
654 Posts
My TU250x will cruise at 75MPH and has half the horsepower of the CB300F. It sounds like it's getting a workout, but is very stable.

·
8,621 Posts
My June, 2015 issue of Cycle World has a test of the 4, small entry level sportbikes: The KTM 390, the Kawasaki Ninja 300, the Honda 300 and the Yamaha 320. The KTM and the Honda are single cylinder bikes and the rest are parallel twins.

After reading the article, my choice would be the Ninja or the new Yamaha.

Sam:smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Registered
427 Posts
My air cooled 250 Rebel at half the CB300 power does just fine in those scenarios the OP describes. I don't foresee the CB being challenged by the same.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Also, my friend has a 250 V-Star. He changed the sprockets from 16-45 to 17-40 and it gave him an extra 15 mph
I find that difficult to believe...I did a less taller gearing change on a bike with more power & torque and never saw such gains, in fact it hindered top speed.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well, l haven't ridden the bike, but l have no reason not to believe him. He said that when he first got it the bike labored hard to do 55 or 60 mph, and after the gearing change, he was doing 70 nicely.

·
8,621 Posts
Less taller means lower gears, which may help acceleration but will theoretically lower top speed but in some instances the bike right from the factory was geared to high to actually attain full RPM's in top gear at any time.

A higher gear change like the little 250 Yamaha mentioned COULD mean a higher cruising and/ or top speed, IF it had the torque to do so.

Most bikes will never attain their full rpm's in top gear and they were designed that way. My past 2012 Goldwing would have been in the running at NASCAR if it could have red lined in 5th gear:biggrin:

Lots of riders go up-or-down, with more or less teeth on their countershaft sprockets to achieve a more relaxed cruising speed or more power on take off.

I dropped a tooth on all of my dirt, Dual sport and adventure bikes---except the BMW GS:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well, for what it is worth, he did say that he didn't have quite as much power in the lower gears, but he was willing to sacrifice that. And he is all of 5'11" and 130 pounds soaking wet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Less taller means lower gears,
I probably should have worded that better. By less taller I meant not as extreme as what was posted but still taller than stock.

If a 250 Virago/V-Star/Route 66 is having trouble getting past 60mph, the problem is not in the sprocket ratio --- unless the prior owner went extremely short on the final gear ratio, in which case the bike in question may be reverted closer to stock. After all a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator can hit those speeds at half the displacement/half the cylinders. ;)

A higher gear change like the little 250 Yamaha mentioned COULD mean a higher cruising and/ or top speed, IF it had the torque to do so.
Which it doesn't. Not at 14lb/ft anyways. ;)

I suppose in order to see what's really going on with this bike, it would be helpful to know the tooth count of the stock cogs.

·
8,621 Posts
I think that thing is a single crank-pin engine and I always wondered if it would sound like miniature Sportster with straight pipes.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've ridden a couple, they are pretty cool little bikes. The OEM exhaust makes for a nightmare when it comes to modification though, what with the faux rear head pipe covering the actual snaking pipe that winds its way from the center of the rear jug and down around the frame eventually entering the bottom muffler (meaning the top muffler, like its adjoining head pipe, is also fake). If you want custom pipes you pretty much have to fabricate them yourself.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Let me just back up a bit. Brand new rider, with only a couple hundred miles under his belt. He buys a 2012 V Star 250 and said that he didn't like how it felt at 55 mph...that it felt like it was working really hard and he didn't like how high it was revving. So l guess l worded it incorrectly when l said that he couldn't get it past 55 or 60.

He got online and found a forum where these guys do different mods on the bike, and he discovered that it was a pretty simple swap. So he went from 16-45 to 17-40. He came back to work the following week and said he had the bike up to 70mph and it felt great. He is a very smart guy and pretty straight up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
said that he didn't like how it felt at 55 mph...that it felt like it was working really hard and he didn't like how high it was revving. So l guess l worded it incorrectly when l said that he couldn't get it past 55 or 60.
Okay that makes more sense, thanks for clearing it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts