Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new member of the Forum and Im about to start a new project on restoring a semi classic motorcycle. I started thinking about it a few months ago and finally I have the money, the place and some time to start. These past months I've been serching for the correct bike to start with, but its been tough. I'm from Argentina and its been hard to get a good bike to start with, in more or less good conditions for a good price. After searching for hours in online motorcycle sale websites and some used motor shops i've come to this one.
(i still cant post images because im new to the forum)
Its an Honda Cb 750 Custom from 1977. It appears to be almost complete, at least most of the main parts seem to be present. Its been laying in a warehouse for five years without even getting started. I would like to know your opinion on how it looks like, if you think the engine could be running soon and without much work put on it, and other any other thoughts anybody has on this project. My main concern is how bad the engine could be on the inside, what chance is there that its rusted on the inside or something like that and how hard would it be to fix it.
(sorry for my english, as I said Im from Argentina and english is not my main language)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Icomack-
Those vintage inline 4 cylinders are beautiful bikes and there are still a lot of parts available for them...at least in the U.S. If you do decide to buy it I would drain the gas and other fluids before starting it and running it for anything other than a few seconds. Then, new plugs, new gas with Seafoam both in the gas and sprayed into the cylinders to lube the dried out top end of the engine. Chances are the carbs will be gummed up due to evaporated gas and there are four carbs to synchronize if it starts and runs rough. I'd be surprised if it didn't run rough at first and it may be necessary to take it to a mechanic to adjust the carbs and get them synced. You will have to buy new tires due their age and you may have leaking seals due to sitting. Bikes are designed to be run. I doubt that the engine is rusted on the inside but I'd be interested to find out why it's been sitting for 5 years...was it running when abandoned? I had one of these back in the day and I loved that beautiful beast. Google them to see some wonderfully nicely restored bikes and cafe racer conversions. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
momule-
Thanks for the reply! Before the bike was stored it was up and running. It seems like this owner got the bike as a payment for a freelance job he did, but he wasnt interested in using it, his intentios was to sell it to get the money. So he just stored it in the warehouse were its been sitting for 5 years. If I could i would send you somes photographs so you can see how it looks like. It looks dirty and abandoned, but it looks complete and with no bumps or broken parts.
Ive googled them and they are amazing, they look really good once theyre restored and it must be pretty impressive to ride one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts