Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the difference between Honda S50 and C50. I have a manual and it shows different wiring diagrams for S50 and C50. I have several electrical issues (not my strong suit) all the lights do not work and it appears that all the bulbs, headlight, taillight bulbs are blown or missing. I have the fowling questions:

1. Can you find bulbs at local auto parts can they cross refer part numbers?

2. The new battery I purchased has a fused positive the old battery had fused negative does it matter?

3. Best site for looking up VIN, my VIN is LO 45857

Again, this is my first Honda so I'm lost and need help.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1980 Honda CB125N
17 Posts
Can't you just take the old bulbs out and bring them with you to the parts stores?
While you are there you should probably get a few reels of electrical wire in the most common Hona colours, black, red and green with some new bullet connectors as I think you are probably going to need them. The existing wires on the bike might look ok on the outside but being so old chances are they have oxidised/corroded and will conduct far better by simply replacing them one at a time.
A new battery and cleaned up earth paths to ground are the first and most important step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't you just take the old bulbs out and bring them with you to the parts stores?
While you are there you should probably get a few reels of electrical wire in the most common Hona colours, black, red and green with some new bullet connectors as I think you are probably going to need them. The existing wires on the bike might look ok on the outside but being so old chances are they have oxidised/corroded and will conduct far better by simply replacing them one at a time.
A new battery and cleaned up earth paths to ground are the first and most important step.
Thank you for the feedback, I wish I had the old bulbs but the headlight bulb was missing and I broke the rear light trying to remove it and without thinking tossed it in the trash. I purchased a new battery and was told it was a replacement for the orginal however it is about 1/4" taller and the positive is fused vs. my old battery the neg. was fused. The wiring sounds like a good idea because I'm sure it is in need of replacement. I did find the bulbs on line and should have them here by Monday 9/7. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Honda always fused the positive side of the battery. If your batt has a neg fuse that's fine but replace the positive side one with a fuse kit from an auto part store. As for the bulbs, try Rockymountain ATV/MC for replacements, they are great with the OEM stuff. As was said by Jpilot1, make sure there is no corrosion in the connections. The tin/lead will be dark grey or chalky white and the brass will be brown or fuzzy green. Copper will be fuzzy green as well. Clean and replace as needed. Auto part stores will have a hard time with 6v lights as most of the people behind the counter have no clue except for what the computer says. There are very few good countermen (or women) out there any more. O'Reilly's lost one when they lost me! Oh well.

Now the models. The Honda S50 is known as The Honda Dream. Its a conventional motorcycle with the tank in front of the seat. The Honda C50 is known as the Cub. The fuel tank is under the seat and there is a step through frame. Both bikes run the same engine, but they are totally different aside from that. Hope this helps.

P.S. (edit) the CA100 you mention in the title is the same type as the C50

Reactions: Jpilot1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was great info, I really appreciate the feedback. Since my post I have learned a few more little things about this machine. I cleaned the electrical connections as you mentioned and now have power to the bulb sockets. So I'm just waiting for my 6 volt bulbs to arrive and see if that problem is behind me. I also found the turn signal (winkers) socket and wiring missing, still working on that issue. I cleaned up the wiring and checked the grounds I could find.

I made a few more cosmetic improvements like new mirrors, legs shields and ordered a seat cover. That leaves me with tires and exhaust. I was going to teardown and paint but once I go into the teardown mode it take for ever to complete so think I will just clean and enjoy this little machine. Thanks for clearing up the S50 vs C50 my fuel tank is under the seat and is a step through frame so C50 it is. The title just list it as CA100 and having zero knowledge about Honda that made ordering and troubleshooting a bit confusing. I'm now in the process or rebuilding the Carb and replacing the kick starter arm. The spline for the kick starter looks fine but the old arm/lever is warn. The carb leaks so clean and rebuild is in order

You are surly missed at the auto counter. I have a 63 Ford Fairlane with 347 stroker and every time I go to the auto parts it is a hassle to get the correct parts, If the computer does not agree with what you need its time to move on and find someone else to help. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was of the type of counterman that could tell what vehicle family a part usually came off of without the customer saying what it is. The way I look at it I was either really good or had been doing the job waaay too long... Maybe both!!

·
Registered
1980 Honda CB125N
17 Posts
Honda c50 being the World's best selling bike means it should be real easy and cheap to get parts for.
I had a c90 back in 1994 for a 30 miles work commute, perfect for 6 months until engine sizes as I forgot to check dipstick, it holds so little oil that a close eye Must be kept on that.
I paid some bucks for a new piston installed at the dealer to get me on the road asap I recall.
Most comfy bike I ever drove.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Im nearing the finish of a custom restoration of a CT90 right now. (check the restoration forums for a build on it). the little I did ride it before i tore it apart was pretty fun. I cant wait to ride it again when it is finished. Oh and I am getting the new big brother of the family here soon. The CT125!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts