Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've not posted here in a while, but no worries, I haven't given up my passion for vintage motorcycles. Over the past year I've kinda changed my collecting style (survivors only) as well as method of restorations. After being pleased with the results of a "sympathetic restoration" on a Yamaha in 2019, I decided to also try it with a few Honda 50's (C100 cubs) I've had in the shop waiting restorations since 2008. Although the term (sympathetic restoration) has been around a long time, it has recently come to my attention of it's use concerning vehicles also.
What exactly does it mean, in a nutshell, it seems to me that it's leave original anything that can be left original and correctly restore anything that needs to be restored. So on these little Honda's after complete disassembly of frame and engines, only the parts that were unusable were replaced, paint was "cut and polished" but kept original including all scars without touch-up. While a sympathetic restoration is actually more work than a nut & bolt restoration it does save in paint cost. Also I've been noticing that it ends up having a higher value than a full paint job restoration. Paint is only original once! I purchased the '62 and '65 back in 2008 and the '66 in 2012. The '66 came in boxes with a locked up motor, also the motor on the '62 was seized. Other than minor changes over the years this model remained mostly unchanged, so I decided to take on all three restorations consecutively. Here's a few pictures of the results, I think you'll agree that they look pretty much like they just rolled off the assembly line. Actually that was my goal;)

A few small bits are remaining to be received such as a neutral light assembly and ignition switch. Also adding mirrors and maybe some other changes if I deem necessary may happen later. However each bike has been already run and ridden.

The 1962 C100, one year prior to the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad campaign!

The 1965 C100

The 1966 C100 that I purchased to be a donor for the other two Cubs

A group shot of the 3 Cubs, L - R 1965, 1962 & 1966

·
On The Road Again!
3,750 Posts
Wow! Where do you find these things???
I haven't seen one of those in decades.
I have a Trail 90, and I've seen a few others at Bike Night.
But the original Cubs? Nothing!!

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
Boy, those bring back memories. 63 was the first time I ever put my butt on a scooter and it was on just this bike. My best friend and I rented two for the day. Obviously I was hooked. Him, not so much. He never rode another although we both had a blast that day. I guess the reason he never got hooked is he crashed. Nothing serious. Bike had no damage and we went back to the rental place without issue and didn't get charged any damage fees. But I guess it just wasn't his thing. Thanks for the flashback. And the donor turned out not to be a donor. That's pretty interesting too.(y)

Reactions: Rizingson

·
Ace Tuner
2,795 Posts
I was very young back when those things were on the street. If I could have had one I would have had everything a guy would need. Like I said, I was young.
Congrats on three jobs well done and thanks for helping me remember my youth... :)

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,021 Posts
Glad to see you back Riz and those look amazing!

·
Registered
1963 CA95 Honda Benly
5 Posts
My passion for vintage two wheelers grew out of a dream (literally) 12 years ago. I got to thinking about my HS school days and how my school mates were arriving to school on various (then, early mid-60s) motor bikes. They were riding Hondas, Vespas, Yamahs. I arrived on public transportation LOL.
So, later that morning I started a search for something of interest. To shorten the story, I wound up finding a1964 Allstate Vespa across town. Well, this started a passion in a collection of Allstate bikes, starting with two '59 Mopeds, a couple of Campus 50s, An Allstate DS50, a '66 Blue Badge Vespa, a '65 PUCH 250 (Twingle), 1948 Whizzer, and this past fall I took an old 1948 Hiawatha bicycle from then, to now, by add an electric motor. It's a sweet old bicycle.. Acquiring this '63 Benly was a throw-back to this HS days and the Honda Dreams, the rich kids rode to school. Now, I've finally made it! I'm a rich kid too LOL.....just took 56 years to do it.
tempImageptYll1.png

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts