Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just wanted to ask why my steering wobbles? The scoot is pretty much brand new, I just got it last Dec 2020. It starts to wobble around 25mph. any advice help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
American Legion Rider
22,827 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to ask why my steering wobbles? The scoot is pretty much brand new, I just got it last Dec 2020. It starts to wobble around 25mph. any advice help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I think for anyone to be able to answer this you'll need to give them much more detail. Exactly what is wobble? The obvious answer to wobble steering is something is not tightened down. Or is wobble really vibration and a wheel/tire isn't balanced. Although I'd expect a higher mph or mpk for that. But it could still be a tire that isn't mounted correctly. Do the handlebars literally almost jump out of your hands? Since it is new, can't you take it to the dealer you purchased it from to resolve the issue? You are still in a 30 window in worse case for repairs I would think. That's where I'd be headed.

But you can start investigating by getting both wheels off the ground and then put something stationary real close to the tire and rotate it looking for any difference in distance between tire and your stationary object. Check both tires and both sides that way. Also look at the outside lip(bead) of both tires and both sides making sure they look the same all the way around wheel and that there isn't a spot where the bead is pulled back from that outside edge. That will eliminate the tire/wheel as the source or confirm it is. Next check all nuts and bolts from the handlebars all the way down to the axles. Dealer under warranty is a better option though.

Reactions: Panigale2016

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@hogcowboy thanks for the input. When I reached 20mph I let go of the handle bars. The it would shake violently but before it gets out of hand I immediately grab on to the bars before something gets bad. I checked the tire pressure and it’s a bit low. Will try to add air on it and see what happens. By the way, I spoke with the dealership and they said to bring it in for an inspection check.

·
American Legion Rider
22,827 Posts
When I reached 20mph I let go of the handle bars. The it would shake violently but before it gets out of hand I immediately grab on to the bars before something gets bad.
Well there's your problem. That's much too slow to be trying tricks like that. Well, I'm thinking in relation to my bike, maybe it can be done on something smaller like what you have but I really doubt it. At least not for any length of time. That's not to say you don't have a tire problem or balance problem or something loose in the steering. But keep your hands on the bars until at least 40mph and preferably higher if you just have to show mom, "no hand".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there's your problem. That's much too slow to be trying tricks like that. Well, I'm thinking in relation to my bike, maybe it can be done on something smaller like what you have but I really doubt it. At least not for any length of time. That's not to say you don't have a tire problem or balance problem or something loose in the steering. But keep your hands on the bars until at least 40mph and preferably higher if you just have to show mom, "no hand".
It’s not that I’m doing tricks or anything. I mean, my other motorcycle does not wobble at all. It is just this particular motorcycle. I don’t know if it’s the tires or the balancing of the tires. I tried my other friends bike and it does not wobble like mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, there are not many reasons for this to happen. Low tire pressure is one of them. Bad (partly worn) tire also. What bike is it? Do you have wind shield? Normally, if there is a loose not on the axe, or damage frame, loose (damaged brake disc) the bike will wobble at higher speed, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, there are not many reasons for this to happen. Low tire pressure is one of them. Bad (partly worn) tire also. What bike is it? Do you have wind shield? Normally, if there is a loose not on the axe, or damage frame, loose (damaged brake disc) the bike will wobble at higher speed, too.
It is a smaller displacement scooter called Honda ADV 150. Yes I have a windshield. The bike is only a month old so pretty much everything is brand new.

·
American Legion Rider
22,827 Posts
Believe it or not, what you are carrying on the tail could be the cause. A look on YouTube will show how wobble can be induced by weight placement on a bike. I was amazed when I saw it myself. I knew it might have some impact but never thought wobble would be one.

Reactions: Panigale2016

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe it or not, what you are carrying on the tail could be the cause. A look on YouTube will show how wobble can be induced by weight placement on a bike. I was amazed when I saw it myself. I knew it might have some impact but never thought wobble would be one.
Thanks Hog, a lot of fellow riders here said it’s one of the culprit since the bike is very lightweight.

·
Ace Tuner
2,681 Posts
what you are carrying on the tail could be the cause.
Probably is.
Any weight put on any bike that is farther to the rear (in back of, behind) the rear axle will upset handling big time.
This happens with full size bikes, no telling what it might do to a small machine. Also the higher the weight the worse the handling upset.
Pitch that big box and see what happens.

S F

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably is.
Any weight put on any bike that is farther to the rear (in back of, behind) the rear axle will upset handling big time.
This happens with full size bikes, no telling what it might do to a small machine. Also the higher the weight the worse the handling upset.
Pitch that big box and see what happens.

S F

Let me try that. thanks for the input.

·
On The Road Again!
3,625 Posts
I have had wobbles that were cured by changing to a higher quality front tire.
My Goldwing is a case in point. With a Dunflop E3 on the front, it would definitely start
wobble at certain speeds. I switched to a Michelin Commander II on the front.
Presto! No more wobble.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,660 Posts
You might be right George, but that big box on the back of his bike has to be taking a lot of weight off his front tire causing the wobble

1 - 15 of 15 Posts