Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Honda trailbike coming in tonight. It's my neighbors. He just bought it and is going to pick it up tonight. The PO said he can't make it run right and has been screwing with the timing and points.

Timing is no problem with single clc. engines. But I do not know what the points gap and plug gap should be. Anybody know off the top of their heads?

At the moment the PO has the points at 12 and the plug at 40.

I'm thinking he has things way off. Maybe 15/18 for the points? 28 for the plug?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Oh... and don't confuse the 2 types of "timing". There is valve timing and ignition timing. They are completely different and therefore require different methods of setting. I highly recommend you get a clymers manual for that bike.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jack. Not too worried yet about valve timing. I just want to fix the PO's mistakes first. I'm hoping he might have the point gap around 10. Plus with a plug gap of 40, I'm sure it would be difficult to start.

And to make things more fun, he said he 'rebuilt' the carb.

Baring any other problems, it should be an easy fix. I just want to get a 'base line' first and go from there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you are talking about timing...

There is a lot to timing. anything from a shear pin or bad shaft key, to a bad plug wire or plug itself. Now I am sure that you aren't complete idjits and you have new everything in there, and that the settings you are attempting are not being attempted with original 1969 parts which, probably at that age, are carrying enough gravity and whatnought to strip a solid piece of stainless clean.

so here is what you do. get a manual for the plug gap, even a common auto parts store should be able to tell you where they should be set. As for the points, call honda.

Then after you realize that all your hard work is being thwarted by antient stripped and oxidized aluminum, get yourself some new parts... they may be hard to find.
use a timing light.
just telling you the truth, without any powdered sugar and jelly....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts