Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know it's all the rage these days, but I am looking to getting into biking. I have been drooling over a bike on Craigslist that, as obvious from the title, is an '82 VF750S V45. It is in incredible condition, except the owner says that the carbs need rebuilt. I don't know much about motorcycle motors, but I would have to assume it would be a fairly difficult task. The owner claims that the bike can only be coaxed to run by using a lot of starting fluid, and then (only sometimes) it will idle on its own. Can anyone give me some advice, or explain to me that it is a bad idea to buy this motorcycle as a first timer? If not, then it's looking very tempting, because that bike looks absolutely awesome. Any help is appreciated man.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Either be prepared to pay a lot or swear a lot. The carbs on the V-4s are a pain to take off and put on. ain't cheap and ain't easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. From what I have been able to gather, the carbs are right in the middle of the V, and there is a ton to do in preparation to take them off. I have gotten a quote for a carb overhaul for $245. Worth it?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Honestly, that's cheap. Especially if they're pulling the carbs off the bike. Make sure they're using a carb washing machine to get into all the passages. You can't do it properly with spray and wires. Or that they will back their work doing the job again if they didn't do it well enough. You don't want to do that stuff once much less two or three times. The carb cleaner is the trick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is actually with me taking the carbs off. I realize that taking the carbs off is one of the hardest parts, but hey, I gotta get some experience working on my own bike in some way. So I figured start slow by taking carbs off, then let somebody else do the work on the carbs, then put them back on myself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't have much to add about the carbs, but can I direct you to www.v4hondabbs.com with your search? That's the home for all Honda v4 knowledge. There's a couple of guys there who specialize in carb work and can be a great help to you. I've been on that site for many years and have found lots of answers there for my V65 Sabre. You might even find a member near you who can help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
taking the carbs off and putting them back on is the hardest part on this bike. i would suggest if you are going to do the hard part yourself you may want to try your hand a t cleaning them too. do your research on cleaning though. dont let cleaner touch anything rubber and take lots of pictures as you remove the carbs and disassemble. take more pictures than you think you need, especially hose and cable routing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts