Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my charging problem fixed....i still have the same problem i had before..i ride down the rode, and sometimes it sputters and dies....i sit a couple of minutes...crank it over, and it eventually sputters and starts.....its like someone just shuts off the gas, and turns it on again...could this be fuel pump?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Does this motorcycle even have a fuel pump?

Have you tested for a bad vent in the fuel tank? Symptoms are:

1) Will start up fairly easily after sitting
2) Runs for a brief period, then dies
3) Will not restart right away
4) Will start again after sitting for a while

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the honda 2003 ace 750 deluxe has an electronic fuel pump...it stats easy, and usually runs for some time...i had 69 miles on it before it just started sputtering today, and just died....i tryed 5 times to start it after waiting a minute or two , and it sputtered and started to hit on all cyclinders...ran home the next 3 miles okay;.....i just dont, get it..something is causing my bike to stop and i am not sure what it is...its got to be fuel, fuel pump, or something that i am not aware of...i may have to take it to the honda shop, which i hate...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would still check for a venting problem before taking it in to be looked at. It takes three seconds and costs nothing to confirm or deny.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It's a lot easier than that.
1) Run the engine normally until it dies.
2) Try to see if it will re-start
3) If it doesn't start, remove the gas cap
4) Repeat step 2)

If it starts up after removing the cap, the tank vent is not working properly.

The fuel tank usually replaces fuel with air to keep a neutral atmospheric pressure. What happens in the case of a plugged vent is a vacuum will build up in the tank as fuel is removed by the engine and air is not allowed in through the vent.

It ends up being like trying to drink a too-thick milkshake with a straw. The fuel moves too slowly and the engine starves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay....if the vent is the problem...do i blow air through it..or run a wire through it????

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Often they are in the gas cap, but I'm not sure on that model. If you can see what's crudding it up, maybe a small wire or compressed air can open it again. Soaking it might loosen the blockage too. If all else fails, a new gas cap would work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks..my bike has a vent tube,,,,i quess the earlier ones had it in the gas cap ....i will do both,,,,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i ran a wire and compressed air throuht the vent...it comes out of the back of the tank, inward,,it makes a sharp right right and straight up into the tank..i don,t believe its much more that 4 or 5 inches long..i took the gas cap off, and when i blew air into it,,it blew gas out of the tank through the gas cap opening......

can a fuel pump cause problems like this?....i am not sure what eles could?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Yes, if the fuel pump isn't putting out the volume of fuel it should, or only running intermittently, the engine will starve for fuel.

You might be able to test that by carefully popping the fuel line off immediately after it starts acting up and seeing if the flow is about the same as when it is running correctly. If you can remove the carb bowl easily, you could also check that to make sure it hasn't run dry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay...maybe i can just replace some parts...with the money i would give honda to diagnoise and repair;;;;i can buy a lot of new parts

what about fuel filter,,,not the one in the tank, because i have checked that?:71baldboy:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
If you was anywhere near me, I could diagnose the issue pretty quickly I imagine. I owned a 98 750ACE for 4 years, and I am very familiar with it. On the subject of the fuel tank, when you try opening the cap, does it feel like there is heavy suction? if there is, then that tells me that the vent is clogged somewhere. either in the line which should run down right below the swingarm pivot, or in the vent tube on the tank. (have you recently had the tank off and set it on the ground?

A clogged fuel filter could also cause this problem you are having. as well as a bad pump. I will message you for a source for further info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is no suction when i take the fuel cap off....i did have the tank taken off , that is when the problem started....i have not replaced the fuel filter, but had the pecock off twice, the first time there were like metal shavings about a 1/3 inch up the screen on the pecock screen...

i realize that the fuel pump might be the problem...how about the the fuel cut relay??????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If you was anywhere near me, I could diagnose the issue pretty quickly I imagine. I owned a 98 750ACE for 4 years, and I am very familiar with it. On the subject of the fuel tank, when you try opening the cap, does it feel like there is heavy suction? if there is, then that tells me that the vent is clogged somewhere. either in the line which should run down right below the swingarm pivot, or in the vent tube on the tank. (have you recently had the tank off and set it on the ground?

A clogged fuel filter could also cause this problem you are having. as well as a bad pump. I will message you for a source for further info.
thanks animedevildog.....i took the tank off about a month ago to adjust values, but only got half way done, decided i did not have enough time, and put it back together....

the problem started after that...it has now stopped around 29 miles , give or take some...with plenty of gas...and it seems like gas is coming out of the peacock value.. i really don,t think the vent is plugged, have blown it out ...i had it off twice, flushing tank twice, and inspecting peacock screen,,,,blew it out with compress air....i also just recently replaced the stator, due to poor charge ......now i am thinking fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel cut relay(if that has anything to do with it??????)......if its not any of these 3 things....then i am stumped.

i see in the manual there is a test for the fuel pump 2p connector-
Disconnect the fuel pump 2P (White) connector and
connect the voltmeter at the 2P (White) connector
wire harness side.
CONNECTION: Black/Blue (+) - Green H
Turn the ignition switch ON and measure the voltage
at the 2P (White) connector.
STANDARD: Battery voltage
If there is no voltage, check for an open circuit or
loose connection in Black/Blue and Green wires.
If there is battery voltage, replace the fuel pump.

so i quess i go on the connector that hooks to the wire harness, and test dc voltage(you would think the manual would state this?) if there is voltage, replace pump, no voltage, loose connection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
replaced the fuel filter this morning,,it did look black in there.

also, noticed my rectifer plug was laying loose, and connected it back up...not sure if that could cause some running problems..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like the fuel filter may have solved my problem..have gone 100 miles now, with no problems..i may have not needed the stator, though my voltmeter said yes..all this trouble i went through, and just a $18 filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts