Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other evening I saw an episode of the TV series Chicago Fire where the firefighters respond to a multi vehicle wreck on the highway and two of the vehicles involved were (1) a semi truck that partially flipped over and was in danger of losing its cargo and
(2) a motorcyclist that laid down his cruiser bike and slid underneath the trailer of the big rig.

The biker guy wasn't hurt, and he talked to the firefighters who responded to the scene. He said that he was not an experienced rider and that he had just gotten the motorcycle during what he called "an expensive mid-life crisis."

He told the firefighters that he never wanted to ride it again even if it could be repaired. (Too dangerous).

Another firefighter looked at the bike longingly as if he might want to take it and fix it.

But yet another firefighter must've had the same thought, because he beat him to it --bought the wrecked bike and had it delivered to the station where he enlisted the other firefighters' help in fixing it up.

The story indicates that neither one of these firefighters had been planning to buy a motorcycle before then; they just jumped on the idea when the opportunity came to them. ( funny that this idea would come to them right after the motorcycle was involved in a serious wreck!!)

No mention was given of any of these firefighters having a class M license or taking lessons. And once the bike was fixed up, it seemed like the very first ride that its new owner was going to do involved his wife coming with him for a two-up ride!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Smile Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,622 Posts
I never know of riding until one fateful day when a motorcyclist went speeding around my pickup just to find him down at a crossroad, brains all on the ground. Went down to the Honda dealer 3 weeks later and got a bike AND helmet. Wasn’t going to make that mistake even if I did crash.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I definitely qualify as a mid-life crisis rider! I remember being VERY interested in sport bikes back in the mid-90's, to the point I had a couple of mag subscriptions but, for different reasons, never bought one. Probably a very good thing. After the subscriptions ran out, I didn't renew and never really gave bikes another thought, until...

A couple of decades later :)oops:) I went in for an eye exam, having noticed that reading was getting a little difficult. I'd always had better than average vision and finding out that it had been reduced to just a hair worse than average, I was kinda devasted. At 49, it was my first tangible physical decline I couldn't do anything to improve (lower back pain had kicked in several years earlier but I was able to mitigate that). For whatever reason, I decided that I needed get my motorcycle license IMMEDIATELY! Took the MSF class and never looked back!

5 years and 30k+ miles later, I wish I had started riding much sooner, but also know that I am barely mature enough now... :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
453 Posts
5 years and 30k+ miles later, I wish I had started riding much sooner, but also know that I am barely mature enough now... :LOL:
I picked up my BSA in my mid 20's. Exceeded the K81 lean angles a few years later. Not understanding why the bike disappeared out from under me, I sold it and stayed away from ownership for 50 years - occasionally trying a loaner to discover I had not matured enough to ride rationally.

I decided at 65 to try again with a screaming deal on a 02 BMW R1150RT. That started well, but, well, the bike seemed to like leaning into the corners more than a person should in deer country. Sold it. Last summer I decided to try again. Surely I'm mature enough now??? So Far, So Good. I turned 73 in August. I may finally have grown up enough to ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,256 Posts
I've been riding over 50 years now and I'm not sure about the 'mature' part :rolleyes: although my risk assessment skills are greatly improved.....

Motocycling has so many life benefits .

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up my BSA in my mid 20's. Exceeded the K81 lean angles a few years later. Not understanding why the bike disappeared out from under me, I sold it and stayed away from ownership for 50 years - occasionally trying a loaner to discover I had not matured enough to ride rationally.

I decided at 65 to try again with a screaming deal on a 02 BMW R1150RT. That started well, but, well, the bike seemed to like leaning into the corners more than a person should in deer country. Sold it. Last summer I decided to try again. Surely I'm mature enough now??? So Far, So Good. I turned 73 in August. I may finally have grown up enough to ride motorcycles.

I never ridden a sportbike and I am rather inexperienced on riding my cruiser, my Honda shadow VT-1100, on the street. But I don't think I have the type of personality to push the performance envelope and try to go fast enough and lean into the curves tight enough to scare myself just for a thrill.

However I won't really know that until I get more experience riding my bike or until I get a chance to borrow or rent a sport bike.

I had a friend who passed away recently and eventually his son will be selling his racing motorcycle --a Honda CBR 1000 Repsol.

I wonder if I'll get a chance to ride that before it gets picked up by its new owner.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You should definitely take a test ride on the Honda but be aware that whacking the throttle like you do on your cruiser is a very bad idea .

I still remember when a buddy bought a then new three cylinder Bloor Triumph triple ~ I took off on it and was coming back to his apartment in a hilly area and had to make a sharp right hand turn from an uphill to a down hill and slightly sharper than 90 degrees ~ I hit second gear and rolled on the throttle and would up doing a wheelie around that corner .

I nearly pi$$ed my pants I was so surprised .

Some years back my son bought a new Honda CBR600RR and insisted I ride it .

GAH ~ the throttle was -so- twitchy it was link and ON / OFF switch, not my cuppa tea in any way although ten times the power of my old BMW /5 and easily half the weight it was nice .

The bent over riding position also wasn't comfortable to me .

You might decide you like Sport bikes, they're scads of fun but I find them uncomfortable .

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,533 Posts
I went into my 'Young life crisis' @ 13 in 1960 and built my own Mini-bike and I was HOOKED. At 14, my Dad bought me a 250cc SEARS, Puch, 2 stroke, hard tail, as I recall, it was made in 1958 and was in poor shape but was good enough for riding on POWER LINE property and was lots of fun! (y)

From that point until now, @ 75 years old, I have had 89 Motorcycles (Scooters and now a mans Tricycle) and I'm not done yet.:bigthumb:

Sam:blush:

·
Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,622 Posts
Keep going Sam. I’ll swear if you stop riding you start dying. Everyone I’ve known that stopped started looking older within a few months. Many gone after a year. I hope I go out while riding myself rather than ride a rocking chair.

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
836 Posts
The other evening I saw an episode of the TV series Chicago Fire where the firefighters respond to a multi vehicle wreck on the highway and two of the vehicles involved were (1) a semi truck that partially flipped over and was in danger of losing its cargo and
(2) a motorcyclist that laid down his cruiser bike and slid underneath the trailer of the big rig.

The biker guy wasn't hurt, and he talked to the firefighters who responded to the scene. He said that he was not an experienced rider and that he had just gotten the motorcycle during what he called "an expensive mid-life crisis."

He told the firefighters that he never wanted to ride it again even if it could be repaired. (Too dangerous).

Another firefighter looked at the bike longingly as if he might want to take it and fix it.

But yet another firefighter must've had the same thought, because he beat him to it --bought the wrecked bike and had it delivered to the station where he enlisted the other firefighters' help in fixing it up.

The story indicates that neither one of these firefighters had been planning to buy a motorcycle before then; they just jumped on the idea when the opportunity came to them. ( funny that this idea would come to them right after the motorcycle was involved in a serious wreck!!)

No mention was given of any of these firefighters having a class M license or taking lessons. And once the bike was fixed up, it seemed like the very first ride that its new owner was going to do involved his wife coming with him for a two-up ride! View attachment 77106

View attachment 77107
I don't watch TV , for that very reason ,... No reality , just watching trailers for the 911 show is proof enough ...,

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Today was my son's 44th birthday, he's off his feet with a badly broken foot, we chatted and it turns out he still has the Honda CBR600RR -and- the Ducati ! .

He hates traffic and works in South Central Los Angeles so he apparently just got them both running an commuter deady the week before he broke the holy crud out of his right foot .

• Wow

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
836 Posts
Foot problems are not easy to deal with ...Hope he gets better , Took me 3 yrs. to get back to a regular routine ..., That was about 15 yrs. ago , Still not perfect , but i'm not great at taking care of myself , being 70 does'nt help ...., or riding dirt bikes ....,

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've pretty much always been into sports, or sports oriented motorcycles. I think that it's the speed thing. I like the adrenalin buzz of riding fast. Even when I had the Harley, I made it faster, lol.

I also like testing the bike and myself around a good set of corners, and watching those chicken strips getting thinner. No point in paying a lot of money for tyres and just wearing out the centres.

Having said that - I wouldn't mind having a cruiser for those days that I just want to.....cruise, rather than speed, which is pretty hard on a sports bike that only feels like it is performing right when it's running fast.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well ;

After I took my son to dinner (yummy tasty spicy Japanese place) he took his padded boot off, the scar looks good, he says the top of his foot is a pit puffy and it hurts 24/7 but he's managing .

You're dead right about foot injuries and pain for two reasons : feet are the farthest thing from your heart so blood circulation is slower and there are more nerve endings in your feet than anywhere else .

In 1967 I managed to crush my foot and there was no doctor, it still hurts and every time I get X-Rays or that tube thing they freak out looking at it .

I'm told I walk funny but as long as I'm ambulatory it's all good .

I'm not sure I know what 'chicken strips' are ? . please educated me .

Don't ever look at a cruiser and think "oh, he never corners hard / deeply" ~ I have a buddy who has an early gold wing he and his wife are hefty and I have the devil of a time keeping up in the canyons .

Same with my son ~ I like to ride spiritedly and can touch the rocker boxes of my old BMW or Ural in the corners, my son once had a 198? Honda CX500 V - Twin and he leaned it -so- far over I have no idea how it maintained traction .

• Love

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
BBQ sauce or Mustard ? .

I just found out they're building a new Chick-Fil-A from the ground up where the old Avon bottling plant stood for 50 + years .

The first time my Sweet took me to Chick-Fil-A it was beyond nasty, since then O have discovered it can be pretty good .

I'm still wondering what a 'chicken strip' is on a Motocycle .

• Haha
1 - 20 of 46 Posts