Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not heard any "statistics" for this years holiday-riding fatalities or accidents with motorcycles, but .........it seems every year, the higher percentage of accidents and deaths involving motorcycles, seem to occur during holidays and weekends.

That said, I wonder if any of you stay off the roads a lot, or "more than usual" during the weekends or during holidays, just because of the odds of being around riders who are more prone to ONLY ride on weekends and holidays, and are more likely to become one of the "statistics" on record.

Alcohol and drug use (unfortunately) consumption seems to be a big factor in motorcycle and cage incidents as well, on the weekends and during holidays, of course.

-Soupy

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Still dealing with a garnishment, bills all got paid this week so no complaints, I won't be out due to lack of extra funds. For some reason this week just came up really short for us. 90* with almost matching humidity, I'd have to keep moving or feel like I'm melting lol

·
8,606 Posts
Soupy, I re-think my ride plans every time there is a Holiday, like Monday and this weekend due to lots more traffic on the roads and as you said alcohol and drugs are used big time by lots of people.

California is terrible for holiday traffic and interstates are bumper to bumper traffic for hours on end.

Here in Missouri it's a lot quieter at least in the small cities and country.

Be safe!

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm going to be out riding tomorrow, but most of it's going to be way out in the boonies were few people travel anyway, and my first round of city driving will be in the early morning, so I'm not too worried. The only part I feel I really need to watch out is the last hour of my return, I'll be hitting the city in the evening when everybody else is coming back too.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I normally do not ride weekends and holidays. I say normally because there are always exceptions

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not exclusively urban or suburban driving (although admittedly, if you are in a more remote area, you MIGHT be less likely to face the inexperienced and inebriated) either.

Can happen anywhere, anytime...........

Just seems like the odds are greater on weekends and holidays. I don't even like riding at night, for the same reasons; especially when you add the additional factor of darkness, and the limitations that THAT brings.

-Soupy

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Well, the Four Corners Motorcycle was held again this weekend, and again, it rained. 7? 8? straight years? Last night was a gullywasher to boot.

90% of the riders I observed were not wearing helmets. Even riding in the rain.

Alcohol and excess speed earned one a Darwin award Friday night.

Motorcycling in and of itself apparently isn't risky enough to some.

Yeah, I think these are good weekends to stay off the roads. There are inevitably large packs of HD riders doing 60 or less in 65 zones and cars and trucks that INSIST on passing.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Three dead now. Looks like the driver of a pickup may have pulled out in front of a guy and his wife.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
It's not exclusively urban or suburban driving (although admittedly, if you are in a more remote area, you MIGHT be less likely to face the inexperienced and inebriated) either.

Can happen anywhere, anytime...........

Just seems like the odds are greater on weekends and holidays. I don't even like riding at night, for the same reasons; especially when you add the additional factor of darkness, and the limitations that THAT brings.

-Soupy
When I lived in the country any weekend night you had to watch for inebriated drivers. Chances are if they were on the road after dark they were on their way from or between bars/parties...I suppose it wasn't much different during the week sometimes

·
Registered
804 Posts
Now that football season has kicked off here in LSU territory, tailgate parties run from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon. The only safe time to ride is early morning before the drunks wake up.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I don't pay it any mind. I just ride when I decide I want to ride. Regardless of when or where. Regardless of the "increased risks" associated, the fact is that these risks are ALWAYS present. We're just more aware of them during the holidays, because we expect people to have a "Well, it is the holidays" mentality, to justify drinking more than they normally might, or other behaviors. Just because it's statistically more likely during these times, doesn't mean we should ever treat it as any less likely, otherwise.

Just like how you always treat a gun as if it's loaded, even if you think it's not.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
One thing about Texas is there are a lot of gravel roads. I was out exploring some again Saturday which was not the plan but it happens here. Got in short of 200 miles but every time I got to the well traveled roads I was reminded it was a holiday weekend. Seemed every 10th car had something on their roof. At least the gravel back roads don't have much traffic.:D

Locally there is an event called ******** With Paychecks. It's an offroad and mudding event. I went the opposite direction of that alcohol feast.:thumbsdown:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gravel roads must kick up a lot of unwanted stones and dust to ding and dirty your bike, eh?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I don't pay it any mind. I just ride when I decide I want to ride. Regardless of when or where. Regardless of the "increased risks" associated, the fact is that these risks are ALWAYS present. We're just more aware of them during the holidays, because we expect people to have a "Well, it is the holidays" mentality, to justify drinking more than they normally might, or other behaviors. Just because it's statistically more likely during these times, doesn't mean we should ever treat it as any less likely, otherwise.

Just like how you always treat a gun as if it's loaded, even if you think it's not.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just saw a segment on the news about the increasing shark population. One surfer said, "I see them more often. But the water's warm, and I love surfing, so..."

Reminded me of this thread.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Up here I stay away from areas that are holding fairs on the weekend. It's insanity. Next come the stupid leaf peepers that have to stop in the middle of the road to take a pic.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I still ride on holiday weekends... In fact I am heading out in a few minutes to meet the group for a few hundred miles.
The only consideration is choosing routes that keep away from the typical touristy areas. Riding anywhere near Wisconsin Dells on any summer weekend is sketchy, but on Memorial and Labor day weekends it's a nightmare.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Living in a tourist town, I keep my bike in the garage and get stuff done around the house on holiday weekends. The tourists clog the streets near town. Which pushes the locals out into the country where I ride. Add the HD event going on in Milwaukee this weekend, and all the pit stops within thirty miles of that are crowded. Even the lakes are crowded with out of town boats.
Dang FISHTABS. :biggrin:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Where I live all of the paved roads in the area are routes to 'cottage country' so heavy traffic is headed east on the afternoon on a Friday and westbound on Sunday afternoon - one day sooner on holiday weekends - and EVERYBODY is in a hurry going to the cottage and exhausted on the way home.

I stick to the gravel roads as much s possible and if I have to travel the highway I prefer going in the opposite direction to the cottage traffic so I can see the idiots coming.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great post. I'll have to do some looking to see if and how big of an increase there has been over the years. Interesting conundrum,, as most with motorcycles would want to celebrate by riding, but are forces to shy away, due to the lack of responsibility from others. It's always good to be mindful this time of year. Maybe if there are four or more together... do you think riding in numbers would be safer or just a larger statistic? As long as there is protective gear and you're alert, I'd hope people would be safe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts