Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my gas tank has a hole in the overflow tube that goes trait through the gas tank. I finally found it after doing electrolysis to remove rust. When shinning a flash light into the tank I can see light when looking down the tube.

Looking for advice, please tell me if you have a better idea, if not what do you think? I'm planning to drill out the tube with a half inch drill bit since I cant get anything inside the tank to cut the tube. If successful I then plan to replace it by sticking a half inch stainless steel tube in one hole and out the other and holding it in place with JB weld after letting it cure for the recommended time I plan to use POR15 to seal up the tank.

I've read that JB weld states that gas wont hurt the JB weld, I've also read that while that seems to be true, gas with ethanol in it will cause it to dissolve, if this is true I'm assuming that that doesn't matter since I am using POR15 and therefore gas should never come into contact with the JB weld. What are your thoughts on this? You think its a good idea? or am I taking a big risk? Do you have a better idea? Thanks to anyone who responds! :)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I would think that instead of using the JB Weld, and stopping any potential problems with it (I haven't used it in years, and that was on an oil pan so I have no idea how it will do with gas) when you pull the tank off and replace the tube, I would take it in and have a welder weld the tube in....I don't remember if it's tig or mig welding, but a welder would know.....it shouldn't cost too much for that small of a job

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you're going to be drilling or cutting metal inside a gas tank, and especially if you're going to be welding on one, first take it to a place that does radiator repairs and have them kill the gas first. Even if you've already flushed it out several times.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in JB Weld for something like that for the long haul. If you can't weld a tube in, could you replace the tube with a piece of flexible rubber fuel line held on with a SS clamp?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see anyway to clamp a fuel line onto it. It would just be two holes, one on the top and one on the bottom of the gas tank. Originally I was thinking of threading the tube and using a fuel resistant rubber O-ring or grommet on top and bottom and locking it in place with a bolt. Do you think that would be a better idea? If I did that I would probably drill the hole and seal the tank first.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, I don't thin JB Weld would be a good thing to use there - it would likely leak eventually. If you can't weld or braze it in place, you might want to look at replacement? Or take it somewhere to be welded professionally - might not be that expensive. As Eye said, a picture or something would help to see what you're seeing.

+1 on having the tank purged properly prior to anything heat related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure where to find a welder, the one that was recommended turned me down cause he's never done a fuel tank. I will keep looking around though. I will see about posting photo's and a drawing of what I was intending to do.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
If you drill the bottom of the tank will the rest of the tube fall down through it?

Why not do that, and then have a welder TIG or braze in a new tube matching the diameter of that hole, protruding as much as necessary.

Even if the holy tube is secured at the top of the tank and won't fall down, sleeving it inside another tube and sealing that to the bottom of the tank with molten metal will fix your problem.

Does the current tube neck down and have a rubber hose on it where it comes out the bottom of the tank? Pictures would be VERY helpful.

BTW, is your neck red? Do you play the banjo recreationally? Do you have a Rebel flag for a front license plate on your pickup truck? If not you're not allowed, by statute OR convention, to repair gas tanks with JB Weld.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Not sure where to find a welder, the one that was recommended turned me down cause he's never done a fuel tank...
Smart welder! He knows what he doesn't know!

I was stationed in Adak, Alaska. The Construction Battalion maintenance facility was near my barracks. One of the seabees nearly destroyed the place when he tried to weld a gas tank off of a Dodge PowerWagon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts