Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first bike, 1973 Honda CB750 Custom Bobber. Haven't owned it just a couple weeks and one day after riding I noticed it was leaking oil. Not a normal small leak, a substantial oil leak. After investigating I noticed was basically looks like a whole in part of the engine or gearbox cover. To be clear the bike will start up and get up and down the road but loses a lot of oil in the process. I know enough about motorcycles and engines to be dangerous but still very ignorant. Any mechanics here or anyone more mechanically inclined than I am that can tell me how screwed I am based of the pictures attached? What exactly are my options here? Appreciate any help you can offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's some serious damage ... You should not ride it like this .Jb weld may or may not work who knows , a new engine case is the best option.
Anyway if you ride it like this at least your chain will always be well lubed 🤪.
I haven't ridden since I found this, but I've seriously been contemplating JB weld or Steel Weld, not sure what else can go wrong if these products fail. 🤷‍♂️ But I'm not really sure if this is a certain section of the engine case that can just be replaced or if the entire engine needs to be swapped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's time for a new bike. In all seriousness that motorcycle engine is toast. And would cost more to repaire than the bike will ever be worth. Did the previous owner sell it to you like that??
Well I'm not sure I'd go as far as just getting rid of the bike. I'm finding that old cb750 motors are out there for roughly $300-400. Then it's just a matter of swapping out the engine...correct me if I'm wrong please. But the previous owners claims this wasn't an issue when I bought it. It may have been a cracked casing but it wasn't a full blown hole in the engine. It 100% would've been noticeable during the test ride. It regurgitates oil from that hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got DOHC for that that then ran for years and even free ones but those are not SOHC which has been locked onto by collectors as worth far more while making less power than DOHC. Any SOHC stuff figure out a good price then 3X-5X that as what they commonly go for.

Like Chrysler true 426 Hemi (I worked on them), nothing special there but just buy parts for one.
Sorry you'll have to educate me. What's the difference between SOHC and DOHC? And to be perfectly clear I'm in western NY so riding season is limited and I really only plan to ride my commute to work which is 4 miles one way and occasional joy ride. So I'm not looking to put a lot of miles on said engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts