Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains near the GA/NC state line. I'm not a rider yet. My significant other is, though. He has a V-Strom. It's big and red. That's what I know about it. :)

He's about talked me into getting a motorcycle of my own. First up is a beginner riding course, but after that, if I like it, y'all may be looking at a new rider. In the meantime, research never hurt anyone, and who better to learn from than a group of other riders?

And yup, my SO's already got a motorcycle picked out for me, a Suzuki SV650 (because I'm vertically challenged), though probably not as my first (beginner) one.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

You can get a lot of good information here

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. There are many women riders these days. Definitely take the before you buy. I recommend that to anyone wanting to start riding. Some find they just don't like it.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Howdy! I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains near the GA/NC state line..........
I'm confused! I always thought that every time I went to Florida from CT, I traveled from North Carolina to SOUTH Carolina, before hitting Georgia?!

If, by being "vertically challenged," you mean that you can't stay balanced, the motorcycle is NOT for you!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I'm confused! I always thought that every time I went to Florida from CT, I traveled from North Carolina to SOUTH Carolina, before hitting Georgia?!

If, by being "vertically challenged," you mean that you can't stay balanced, the motorcycle is NOT for you!! (lol).

-Soupy
Check the state lines farther west

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

-Soupy
Georgia and North Carolina butt up against each other for a ways. :)

Vertically challenged = SHORT. 5'1.5" (That 1/2 inch is important.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely take the before you buy. I recommend that to anyone wanting to start riding. Some find they just don't like it.
That's what I'm afraid of. Honestly, I like sitting on the back of my SO's bike while he gets us where we're going. It's relaxing as all get out. I figure either way I go, the basic course will help me be a better passenger, even if I decide against getting my own, so no harm, no foul.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes! I'm not much for starting threads and popping into discussions, but I really appreciate having a place to learn about motorcycles where people are friendly and encouraging.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Now listen here, we need more females posting on this Forum to help keep these guys in line!! :D :D

Honestly, if there is a discussion you are interested in please comment. Posting members is what keeps a Forum going.

You talk about challenged, I'm 5' 2". I can so relate with being short. I can also relate to enjoying the relaxing feel of that passenger seat.

We have taken many long trips of 4500 miles or more and I'm on the back the whole trip. I don't have the stamina to ride my own that many miles for that many days. I love riding my own bike around home on day trips.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Welcome from Texas...great choice for a first ride....great part of the country to learn...I took my license test in 1970 but been riding since I was 9....have fun and let us know how it's going

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Moni's advice offers the best of both worlds, ride your own when you want and be a passenger when you feel more laid back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from East Tennessee!
No idea where Seymour is, but we LOVE riding in East Tennessee. Beautiful country.

Moni's advice offers the best of both worlds, ride your own when you want and be a passenger when you feel more laid back.
Ha. The funny thing is, I'm the laid back one. Getting out on the motorcycle is one of the few things that unwinds my SO. That's my excuse when I suggest a ride, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome ndamtns. I love that ID and wish I was there myself. Forget the bike your SO has picked out for you. Are you going to ride it or is he? You need a bike that you will be happy riding. IMO you get your MC endorsement and then start visiting local multi-brand dealers looking for a bike that fits you. I am biased and I know it but no way would I suggest a sport bike for a new rider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, lordy. That bike is a ways down the road, after I get a beater that I won't worry about scratching and dinging while I'm learning. :)

We're hoping to visit some dealers in the fall so I can get an idea of what's going to fit and what won't. I'm not sure when I'll take my first class or even where. Probably won't be until the spring, though. I like to get comfortable with an idea before I act on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts