Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
You are very lucky that skunk didn't spray you

They dont' want to spray. I catch them in a live trap occasionly and I just pick up the trap and set it in the truck and take them up the road about 5 miles and turn them loose. They won't do anything. One did pee while it was back there but it hosed out.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
You are very lucky that skunk didn't spray you

They dont' want to spray. I catch them in a live trap occasionly and I just pick up the trap and set it in the truck and take them up the road about 5 miles and turn them loose. They won't do anything. One did pee while it was back there but it hosed out.
I had a pet skunk many years ago :LOL: her name was Rose.
... she had the stink thing removed before I got her.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
I had a pet skunk many years ago :LOL: her name was Rose.
... she had the stink thing removed before I got her.
So you know there is nothing to those little piles of fur. Skinny little things but in the wild do have one big stink factory which changes on what they eat. I had one go through that smelled like garlic and another that smelled like coffee. Really strange how that works.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
So you know there is nothing to those little piles of fur. Skinny little things but in the wild do have one big stink factory which changes on what they eat. I had one go through that smelled like garlic and another that smelled like coffee. Really strange how that works.
Rose was pretty big and fat for a skunk, she weighed in at a hefty 7 pounds and smelled like wet fur. :LOL: In grade 5 I took her to school for show and tell and the teacher freaked, she was so sure the whole class was going to get sprayed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll be the first to admit, it's extremely hard to do. Sometimes it still seems like I'm fixated on the new target when I'm actually looking where I want. My mind still thinks it knows exactly where that critter is and sure enough, thump. But I'd almost guarantee if it's a skunk I'm dead meat. I've been fortunate so far.
True, it is hard to do. Do you have any tips or tricks to teaching your eyes how to avoid target fixating on either the danger OR the place you want to go (a better option for sure but you still don't want to Target fixate on that). Maintaining a wider vision helps....but what are your tricks to learning or training your visual skills?

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
True, it is hard to do. Do you have any tips or tricks to teaching your eyes how to avoid target fixating on either the danger OR the place you want to go (a better option for sure but you still don't want to Target fixate on that). Maintaining a wider vision helps....but what are your tricks to learning or training your visual skills?
I'm not sure there are any "tricks". I first I had to force myself to look away. Eventually forced became almost second nature. But it took a long time. It's not natural, to me anyway, so I had to force myself to look at where to avoid the pothole versus looking at it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm not sure there are any "tricks". I first I had to force myself to look away. Eventually forced became almost second nature. But it took a long time. It's not natural, to me anyway, so I had to force myself to look at where to avoid the pothole versus looking at it.
I'd agree that it isn't a trick, but a learned skill, and just like you said you had to force yourself to do it, and practice made it better. It's not natural for most people actually, that's why it's called a survival reaction when your eyeballs automatically seek out the danger and stare at it, despite the fact that it is almost always the wrong thing to do! I believe it starts with practicing looking where you want to go and being on top of your visual skills and training to catch yourself when you are making mistakes. I find it second nature now while road racing but I notice myself looking at rocks occasionally and target fixating on scary stuff - like side hills, while dirt-biking. It's like a new set of visual skills I have to now learn!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gee-Zus ! wheel swallowing holes are becoming 1st road hazzards again and at speed ! Gee-Zus ! Mostly the right side of the lane is becoming a hell zone, but it is spreading across the 1" blacktop coat fast most every fall/winter everywhere. reminds me of the holes in the Indy trunpike. Or interstate 80. Most likely its the 18 wheeler 78 mph speeds doing it. + really **** cement mix layed down to begin with. Roads are simply falling apart ! Kentucky used to have great roads also Tennessee, they are a hell to drive on the last time i went there !

21 - 29 of 29 Posts