Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from work this afternoon on the MT10 a large raccoon dashed out in front of me. I was doing 70 and knew I was going to hit it when I saw it. I didn’t hit the brakes but let off the gas and just loosened up.

I remember wondering if I was going down but I didn’t have time to worry or plan.

Went right through it I guess. It was a mild head on bump and very uneventful. I’m pretty sure I took it it out completely.

I think I reacted properly but in reality I don’t know if it was doing the things I had read about how to handle small wildlife or just good fortune with my default reactions.

Not really something you can practice unless you are a really odd sadist, I guess. Maybe there is an advanced MSF course version where they throw rodents in front of you.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Ground hogs squish flat under a motorcycle tires too. Skunks and Porcupine leave a little something stuck to the bike when you hit them. Woodcocks fly up off the side of the road at night and can fly right into the opening on your helmet, that can be messy. If you ever have a big bumble bee go right into your mouth, spit it out fast! Medium sized Beagle can take you right off the bike if it hits the front wheel from the side.
Cows are hard to ride over, I tried several times but they keep mooooving.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve killed a turkey buzzard on my FJR and that left a lot of unwanted body matter and feather-ish disgusting stuff. It took forever to clean that off.
To your point, I don’t want to hit or hook-up with a cow, either. 🙂 My sweet fox of 35 years still rides across the country with me and is far more woman than I deserve.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I wasn't trying to hit the cow that would be terrible
I wanted to ride Over it.

Riding was Great today but exhausting because you have to keep moving or the bugs become intolerable real fast.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I also hit a raccoon with my Goldwing years ago, on my way home from work one night. Stopped at a carwash to get all the goo off. It was dark and it happened so fast, I didn't have time to react at all. I guess I was fortunate that my engine guard smacked the thing and not my front tire.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Driving home from work this afternoon on the MT10 a large raccoon dashed out in front of me. I was doing 70 and knew I was going to hit it when I saw it. I didn’t hit the brakes but let off the gas and just loosened up.

I remember wondering if I was going down but I didn’t have time to worry or plan.

Went right through it I guess. It was a mild head on bump and very uneventful. I’m pretty sure I took it it out completely.

I think I reacted properly but in reality I don’t know if it was doing the things I had read about how to handle small wildlife or just good fortune with my default reactions.

Not really something you can practice unless you are a really odd sadist, I guess. Maybe there is an advanced MSF course version where they throw rodents in front of you.
In my MSF class they laid down 2x4's and we ran over them. Same thing...ease up on the gas and lean back. Of course we didn't do it at highway speeds. Sounds like you handled it perfectly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't trying to hit the cow that would be terrible
I wanted to ride Over it.
I had little doubt I would find a video similar to this as everything is on the Internet.

In my opinion, this guy in the video deserves any broken bones or bruises he has. That is some farmer's expensive investment he just wounded. I'm far from an animal rights guy, but that was cruelty to the poor cow without any purpose. Was a little funny, though.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Wonder how many cows he maimed.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
904 Posts

I just taught one today! :ROFLMAO:

Swerving is good option if you don't have time and space for a quick stop. A couple of weeks ago I was riding home on the two-lane after dark. There were two oncoming cars so I had to use low beams. I hang towards the right side of the lane when there's oncoming traffic. So there I am, running about 59, the two cars pass me, and then there it was, a skunk right in front of my front tire. I had just enough time and space to swerve to the right, miss him, and stay off the shoulder.
Another time riding in the dark I had to do a quick stop for an armadillo that had scuttled out of the ditch. I was taking it easy, probably doing 45 it so, because it's wooded through there, and I had a hunch I might see night critters. I got stopped right before he reached my front tire.
The key here is to practice those maneuvers often so the muscle memory is there when you need it, and to use to good searching and evaluation skills to be able to identify hazards early and to anticipate them in those areas where they're more likely to catch us by surprise.

·
American Legion Rider
26,025 Posts
You are very lucky that skunk didn't spray you anyway Lori. They shoot first and look second. And it takes nothing for them to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
904 Posts
You are very lucky that skunk didn't spray you anyway Lori. They shoot first and look second. And it takes nothing for them to shoot.
We learned at a campground program that they aim before they shoot. So unless both ends are pointed at you, you'll be OK! :LOL:

·
American Legion Rider
26,025 Posts
We learned at a campground program that they aim before they shoot. So unless both ends are pointed at you, you'll be OK! :LOL:
Shoot one and see if they aim. Those suckers are hard to hit. All that black is fluff. They are skinny little things.

·
Registered
488 Posts

I think you did the exact right thing in the situation and the only thing I would ask about is if you noticed your vision target fixating on the raccoon or were you able to see it, notice it, loosen up and continue on without your vision narrowing down on the raccoon? Survival reactions often dictate how you respond when something runs out in front of you and as long as you can keep your vision in check and limit target fixation. If you've ever ridden Laguna Seca before there are often these little critters that run out on the track, it's good practice to learn how to NOT look at them but man is it distracting. Sometimes we see our students target fixate on them, alter their course and actually hit them BECAUSE they let their survival reactions take over. Anyway- good job :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't target fixate on it, because I remember seeing it running hard toward me and I looked straight ahead and hoped I didn't hit it when I felt the thump.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
My friend was a car painter back in the day. I swung by the shop to give him a ride home and there was a brand new Toyota 4x4 in there, all munched up on the front end. I asked him what happened.

"16 year old kid, just got his license yesterday."

"Oh man," I said. "Was he driving like a madman?"

"No," he replied. "He was on his way to school and it was foggy. Came around the corner and there was a horse in the road. He swerved and missed it...and hit the other horse."

·
American Legion Rider
26,025 Posts
I didn't target fixate on it, because I remember seeing it running hard toward me and I looked straight ahead and hoped I didn't hit it when I felt the thump.
I'll be the first to admit, it's extremely hard to do. Sometimes it still seems like I'm fixated on the new target when I'm actually looking where I want. My mind still thinks it knows exactly where that critter is and sure enough, thump. But I'd almost guarantee if it's a skunk I'm dead meat. I've been fortunate so far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts