Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am looking for a V Star 650, and saw this:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4602349370.html

I'd not heard of highway bars before so looked 'em up...has anyone mounted these on a 650? Do you use them?

Not sure I like the look, esp on a smaller bike like the 650, but not sure w/out seeing it in various dishes...

I dud see this via google image search:

Anyone have other pics? Is the bike a good deal? Sounds decent from desc bug not sure...

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Freeway bars, Highway bars, Crash bars...all the same thing, they just stopped calling them "Crash" bars to stop the lawsuit happy people....I've seen them on some 650's before....gives you a good place to put pegs to stretch out your legs, also in a slow tip over it can help prevent the tank from hitting the ground and help with not getting your leg caught under the bike....

but if you're looking for a 650, why link an 1100? here's a 650 with the bar on it, it's an older post...but from the same area you looked in (I searched for V Star 650 and it came up) http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4586064009.html

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Had them on ours, came in real handy when it got knocked over in a parking lot. No damage to the bike at all.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
This video was shot in March, when I first brought the bike home. I have modified it since then, in that I have removed the saddle bags, and now have a small bag attached to the back of the passenger backrest. I have also added some Chrome to the back bumper, and am considering Wide White Wall Tires for it, and Vance-n-Hines Pipes (next year).

That said, note the highway bars (a.k.a. "Crash Bars") and the Highway Pegs.
I like them, I'm glad they are on there.

As for the Highway Pegs.........I use them, but not THAT often. Didn't have them on my FIRST bike, and wanted them. For all the "flare" that they offer the look of the bike, (it would almost seem like they are a "must" on a Cruiser, by SOME folks standards) I can't say I use them much.

As for the Highway Bars, I like the idea that they are there, to counteract some of the crunch factor, should I go down. Both to the bike, and to the legs.

The bike you have included in your posting looks nice. If it runs well, has no leaks, performs well..........if you like it..........buy it!

-Soupy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freeway bars, Highway bars, Crash bars...all the same thing, they just stopped calling them "Crash" bars to stop the lawsuit happy people....I've seen them on some 650's before....gives you a good place to put pegs to stretch out your legs, also in a slow tip over it can help prevent the tank from hitting the ground and help with not getting your leg caught under the bike....
Tks, didn't know they had that much additional benefit in a fall scenario)...

but if you're looking for a 650, why link an 1100? here's a 650 with the bar on it, it's an older post...but from the same area you looked in (I searched for V Star 650 and it came up) http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4586064009.html
Because I google searched v star 650 highway bar and used the first image I came across. I also was posting this at 11pm which is in my stupid hour! LOL

Can I claim mental fatigue or is too late and just need to say it was a stupid mistake? :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoops, forgot to ask my main question… How difficult are they to install as the ones from the bike I am looking at say they are not installed yet?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Tks, didn't know they had that much additional benefit in a fall scenario)...

Because I google searched v star 650 highway bar and used the first image I came across. I also was posting this at 11pm which is in my stupid hour! LOL

Can I claim mental fatigue or is too late and just need to say it was a stupid mistake? :)
I guess we can let it go this time...lol

Whoops, forgot to ask my main question… How difficult are they to install as the ones from the bike I am looking at say they are not installed yet?
I've never installed one, but it's nothing more than lining up the holes and putting the bolts in....depending on the bar and bike there are 2, 3 or 4 bolts that hold them on....and when you hold the bar up to the bike, it's easy to see which bolts need to come out (if any) and put back in with the bar in between it and the frame....like Zippy said....she can do it (and if she can....lol just kidding Zippy :p )

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
easy to put on.
very helpful if the bike tips over ... which does happen. will save you hundreds of $$.

they come in various styles. the large ones, like shown in the picture, can also be very useful for mountain footpegs for long-range cruising.

I highly recommend that you install a set on your bike ... but like I said, the actual style varies to suit your taste.

dT

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just bought a 2015 v-star 650 classic and i am having the dealer install the Linbar on it. i think it will help in the event of being knocked over or at the very least it will protect the covers and gas tank and room for my legs too.
i also find that it looks pretty darn good too.

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
Old post from last year, but just for giggles I will post a picture of my old 650 with Highway bars on it.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts