Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, let's post them up. I will get the ball rolling.

1 Look far ahead - if cars are swerving in the lane ahead, you bet there is something in the lane you want to miss.
2 Use hand signals as well as turn signals when changing lanes. If you are moving into the left lane, the hand coming down pointing into that lane along with your turn signal tells the cager you mean business about moving over.
3 Most traffic is traveling about the same speed so be extra concerned about the ones you see flying up or playing that it is their personal NASCAR track. Yes there will always be that driver that doesn't think that you must watch for, but tips for them follow.
4 When in your lane and cars around, it pays to watch the front tires of the cars near you. Often they express where the car is going to go or the driver is thinking about heading. So either pull along side them so they see you or get out of their blind spot. In either case, sometimes it is just best to have your finger on the horn button waiting to see what they will do.
5 Cops do not care if you are passing a reckless driver and doing _____ miles over the speed limit to save your life. They just know you are speeding. But hey, you are still alive.
6 Group Riding: Pick your riding partners wisely. Not all good drivers know how to ride in a group setting.
7 Look for the large pockets without traffic. They happen where a group of cars is far ahead and a group of cars if far behind. Try to not over ride it or under ride it. But also be planning what to do should you find yourself caught in the middle when both groups combine.

Well, I hope that starts some good tips to follow. We are all in this together so let's help each other with suggestions. And remember, they are suggestions that work for most, maybe not for all.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
As you're looking down the road and see a car preparing to enter the roadway, weave left and right a little bit to help get the driver's attention. Your blinding bright headlight and running lights are good, but they are much more noticeable to other drivers if they're moving back and forth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Be extra careful around highway exit ramps. Some moron might realize at the last second that they're about to miss their exit and cut across several lanes at once. Try not to be in their path.

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
As you're looking down the road and see a car preparing to enter the roadway, weave left and right a little bit to help get the driver's attention. Your blinding bright headlight and running lights are good, but they are much more noticeable to other drivers if they're moving back and forth.
That's called a SMIDSY

and I practice it faithfully but I make as big a weave/move as possible. At 75mph or greater, that might look like a rather small weave. It breaks you out from the background. Or as I think, makes everyone think you are drunk so they put you on high alert which is good for the outcome.

Be extra careful around highway exit ramps. Some moron might realize at the last second that they're about to miss their exit and cut across several lanes at once. Try not to be in their path.
This has happened to me on several occasions and if not for me hitting the brakes hard, I would have been taking an ambulance ride instead of continuing my ride. But that kind of stuff can be underwear changing incidents. Always be on high alert instead of sleeping or texting like so many cage drivers seem to be doing these days.:thumbsup: And yes, motorcycle riders have been seen using their phone. It's crazy but they are doing it too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
7 Look for the large pockets without traffic. They happen where a group of cars is far ahead and a group of cars if far behind. Try to not over ride it or under ride it. But also be planning what to do should you find yourself caught in the middle when both groups combine...
Yep --- “in the cradle” I try to never have cars directly beside me, even in heavy metro traffic – unless I just can’t avoid it – I can usually out accelerate or out brake a car, but they can still move sideways as fast (or faster, it seems ) than I can…

At least in DC traffic I’ve found it useful to follow the commuter/Metro buses, hanging back about a car length and a half – first, no car seems to want to follow a bus, so it is very rare that someone will cut in front of me, second, those guys are usually pretty smooth even when moving quickly – a dump-truck doesn’t seem to mind locking up its brakes, but a bus driver with a passengers seems to take extra care to be smooth and predictable (most buses don’t have seat belts for their passengers…); none of the above applies to school buses – I avoid them… Oh, liability with a bus is if they straddle an obstruction in the road, your reaction time to avoid is minimal…

:smile: Good list by the way !!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A tip that I was just reminded of:
If riding on a multi lane road when it is dark out and you are in the right lane (USA), make sure to swerve back and forth in your lane as you approach an on-ramp with traffic. Reason: if you are traveling in either position 1 or 3, your headlight can blend in to look like the vehicle's headlight behind you. This makes entering ramp traffic think they have more distance than they do and you could be pushed into the lane beside you or worse.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
A tip that I was just reminded of:
If riding on a multi lane road when it is dark out and you are in the right lane (USA), make sure to swerve back and forth in your lane as you approach an on-ramp with traffic. Reason: if you are traveling in either position 1 or 3, your headlight can blend in to look like the vehicle's headlight behind you. This makes entering ramp traffic think they have more distance than they do and you could be pushed into the lane beside you or worse.
Even better tip.
Add extra driving lights to the front of your bike, in a triangle pattern.
It makes you stand out from the rest of the traffic.
Maybe add two YELLOW ones. The yellow lights combined with
your headlight will make you very visible.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Never be the fastest vehicle on the highway. Years ago I read how a rider controlled his speed. Right on the face of his speedometer, he wrote in grease pen, what his last speeding ticket cost him.

(I think it was $168.50, but not sure.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Space cushioning. Always staying far enough back from the vehicle in front of you to ensure sufficient reaction time when something strange happens. (I never saw so much bizzare stuff on roadways before taking up motorcycles.) Distance is not the right measure. Time is the right measure. When speeds are higher, safe distances become longer. You need at least two, and should strive to give yourself four, seconds to react to the strange things ahead.

Along with this goes sideways space cushioning, meaning never riding beside a vehicle except to pass or be passed. This gives you time to react and space to maneuver.

Sometimes people want to fill the gap, especially on a crowded highway. Let them pess. Protect your bubble.

You might find yourself behind some joker whose idea of safe driving is to travel 15mph slower than all other traffic, creating a dangerous situaiton in which every single driver's personal awareness and reflexes determine whether or not there is a crash. It is wise to pass these people, lest you become their rear bumber guard. Sometimes these people speed up when you try to pass, even though others have been passing them consistently for miles. Fine. If they pick up speed to a safe level, no need to pass them. It is never personal. It is all about your bubble.

One more thought for commuters (like me): You decided when you would arrive when you chose to leave. Trying to drive faster won't help. So forget about the time and protect your bubble.

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
It's referred to as a SMIDSY. I do it even in bright sunlight of the day. Anything to break out of the traffic behind you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts