Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning:coffee:
I used to ride in running shoes a lot, but I want to be more safe now because of my age. I'm looking for a high top riding boot that covers my ankle but is flexible.
I currently using a Cowboy style riding boot, but I don't feel comfortable with them. I like the feel and flexibility of a running shoe for better control but want better protection. I also used to wear Marine corps combat boots for dirt riding, but they don't make that style anymore and the price of military gear has skyrocketed.
What do you guys wear and why?

Sorry I didn't see the boot sticky, Moderator please remove this post, all the info I need is already there. I hate being a dummy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends

It depends on how much protection you are looking for. If just a little, then a good lace up work boot will work. The issue I have with work shoes is the sole is very hard for long wear buy also very slick on certain road surfaces.

A better choice would be an actual motorcycle designed boot like a Tourmaster Solution 2 or similar brand. They are lighter to wear but offer good protection with toe and ankle reinforcement. I find this style of boot to have better traction on the road surface.

Whatever you decide on, wear them for 20 - 30 minutes before you take them out on the street to make sure they are comfortable. You also need to be able to be on your feet for those extended stops if you are a sightseer like I am.

There are several good online stores that are easy to work with: Revzilla.com motorcyclegear.com are two sites I have used in the past. :71baldboy:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Hey Muggs, don't feel bad. Lots of us talk about things in the General Discussion section that already have their own section. There are lots of new members who haven't posted or read some of those old threads. They might have new info that will be helpful to all of us. Most of us are glad to have a new member that is posting. :) :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You can get just about any style riding boot for a reasonable price at CycleGear...l wear sport boots, they were about $100. They have boots as low as $40 and as high as a couple hundred, and anywhere in between. It is on 196th in Lynnwood, between 44th and 40th on the south side.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get just about any style riding boot for a reasonable price at CycleGear...l wear sport boots, they were about $100. They have boots as low as $40 and as high as a couple hundred, and anywhere in between. It is on 196th in Lynnwood, between 44th and 40th on the south side.
Thanks I had recently found them on the net and bought some gloves at there store in Lynnwood, but I was in a hurry and didn't look around for anything else.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
What's the ACTUAL purpose of wearing boots while riding.

To transfer crash forces so your tibia/fibula, or even your femur breaks instead of your ankle shattering.

Or DON'T break, because they're so much stronger and have far more rotation/give ..

Why? Broken leg bones heal. Ankles...good luck, especially if you're older.

So you want a boot with true ankle support, NOT a hightop or Army boot, which is essentially a hightop sneaker.

Both provide abrasion resistance, but....4 months in a leg cast is easy compared to ankle surgery, pins, two years of rehab, aching, and weather-detection for the next 6 years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah... Lstayner has said well. It depends on how much protection you are looking for. There are a number of online store that are do well. My grandfather use Mucker Boots. Mucker Boots are waterproof boots made with Neoprene fantastic material in attitude style. The sole pattern varies depending on the range selected and these reflect the varying conditions the boots are suitable for. On other hand Leather Riding Boots are also fine.

·
6,483 Posts
A good pair of Harley boots will last you forever.

The Vietnam style combat boot is fantastic, especially for summer.

Cycleworld magazine that I've subscribed to for maybe 40 years, always has adds where boots and other accessories are drastically reduced and available on the internet.

Around here, in the country, we have huge bugs and grasshoppers that delight in hurting your ankle as they commit suicide by bike.

They safety factor of well made and tough boots has already been discussed and ankle injuries are common, even from just having a bike tip over at a stop and having it 'pin' the riders ankle between the tarmac and the floorboard/ footpeg etc.

A close Deputy Sheriff friend of mine when completing his California Highway Patrol motorcycle course had a full dress Kawasaki cop bike fall over on him at almost a complete stop and it pinned his ankle under the floorboard: It cut his Achilles tendon almost completely in two. This ended his career.

Sam

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
........The Vietnam style combat boot is fantastic, especially for summer............"Sam
That all depends on how high you like your shifter, from your foot pad.

My experience with my Military style boots has been, that if you don't have much of a gap between the two, this style of boot will be a pain, because you have to "toe down" and try and dig under the shifter.

Of course, you can MOVE the Shifter, but hey........if you already have it the way you want it, ...............

-Soupy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My current boots are too stiff and feel cumbersome on the controls, I am willing to give up some ankle safety for better control of the break peddle. The next rainy day I going to go to the Motorcycle gear store and try on some boots. My budget is tight and I also want crash bars and that may be more important, I know they saved my leg when I downed my Harley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts