Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had idle issues a while back and found a vacuum leak that I fixed. I checked it again today and there seems to not be a leak. I went on a ride today and after a short time the bike would idle at close to 5k (even went up to 7k right before I was trying to check for the vacuum leak.

I have changed both the main and idle jets but I am guessing that is the problem since I have gone up many sizes (since I removed the factory air box).
Am I correct on assuming that my idle jets are too big?

Lastly, for the main jets - the throttle cuts out at around 9k (10k redline). Is that the opposite from the main jet, that it needs to be a bigger jet?

Thanks

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Ok... No one is jumping here and I understand why. Firstly, your profile says you have two bikes, which bike are you having issues with? Next, in your 1st paragraph you said you found a vacuum leak and fixed it... AFTER doing that, did the bike run ok? Next, also in the 1st paragraph, you stated you went for a ride... when you first started off was the bike running fine and THEN the idle went up or was there a problem from the start? Next, in your 2nd paragraph you say you have changed all the jets. Was this before or after you started having high idle issues? Lastly, I need to know which bike has the issue, what are you using for air filtration and is the exhaust still stock or aftermarket (louder)?

PS: I have ASE certification and State license as a motorcycle mechanic, but my crystal ball and magic wand are currently in the shop... lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... No one is jumping here and I understand why. Firstly, your profile says you have two bikes, which bike are you having issues with? Next, in your 1st paragraph you said you found a vacuum leak and fixed it... AFTER doing that, did the bike run ok? Next, also in the 1st paragraph, you stated you went for a ride... when you first started off was the bike running fine and THEN the idle went up or was there a problem from the start? Next, in your 2nd paragraph you say you have changed all the jets. Was this before or after you started having high idle issues? Lastly, I need to know which bike has the issue, what are you using for air filtration and is the exhaust still stock or aftermarket (louder)?

PS: I have ASE certification and State license as a motorcycle mechanic, but my crystal ball and magic wand are currently in the shop... lol
This is the 450, currently the 750 isnt running either... But that's for a different day. So yes, I believe the bike was running well. The temperatures were colder but the bike did not have the same problems it is having now.

When I cold start it, it takes a while to start up but the high idle happens when the bike warms up (made sure choke was off). But after cold starting it seems to run a bit strange with things like a lack of throttle response and 'surges' if I shift up and the rpms go a to around 2k.

The jets were upped quite a bit from stock sizes since I removed the air box with K&N pod filters and have a high flow exhaust on (shorty 12"). The bike has had the same jets since the end of last summer and through the fall when the bike seemed to be running fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts