Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve owned my 2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 for a while now I bought this piece of **** being a noob and not knowing about bikes thinking it was a good deal the person that I bought it from was also a piece of **** anyways I’ve got the bike working now replaced spark plugs, oil change, coolant flush but my bike only likes to start up with starter fluid.. and not only that it doesn’t idle like a normal bike, it idles high, when it’s cold I’m talking about 5k rpm and then when it settles, it settles down to 3k and yes I’ve adjust the little pull thing idk what it’s called and the bottom one that looks like a screw but when I adjust it to like 2,000 rpm it starts to die out and anything below it as well until it dies. What could the problem be? By the way all the carbs are cleaned I pulled it apart and took cleaned everything looks good, no clumps and the bike only has 3,500 miles on it and yes it did sit for a long time from the guy it bought it from. Oh and I forgot to mention that it starts to overheat at stops like after a minute or 2 of not accelerating.

·
American Legion Rider
19,481 Posts
When you say the carbs are clean, did you used compressed air or ultra sonic cleaner to get all the tiny holes and passages clean? Did you replace the jets? It's near impossible to get them clean without ultra sonic use and compressed air. Replacing them while you have it apart for cleaning is much easier. And it sounds like the idle jet is plugged is why I ask how you cleaned it.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
130 Posts
It took me 4 times to get my carbs working correctly on my cb750.
Acetone, (nail polish remover) cuts paint and varnish, went thru a big ass bottle of that.
Starting fluid, half a dozen cans. Thin guitar strings poking the passageway behind jets. Soaking in 93 octane for 2 days. You need at least 100 psi on the compressed air.
Sometimes high idle is an air leak at the carb manifold or boots to air box.

Think about it guy.
The gas in all those little passageways has dried out, and is crystallized like dry varnish paint.
How u gonna get that stuff out?

Heck, I’ve heard of guys boiling them in a pot of water and degreaser.

Some try ty d bowl toiletbowel cleaner,
I’m told cleans the big stuff, but left in that solution too long, over 20 minutes will dissolve the carb itself lol.

U should be able to rig up a squirt bottle and some kind of real small rubber hose. With the jets pulled, hold the hose tight against each and every little hole and passageway in that carb.
The idle passageway sucks from the adjuster screw back to the float bowl, up to the the throttle body and dumps in the airstream right below the slide in the throttle body. That’s what that little hole and passageway is for
Squirt in, it should squirt out somewhere else. It doesn’t, it’s still clogged.
This is advanced, somewhat specialized motorcycle work.

You’re in this deep, u gottahave patience.

The overheating, air cooled bikes need air over the fins. Plus, they run lean, they run hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts