Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you use your high beam? When I attended my basic motorcycle course, they mentioned that you should use it for extra visibility. I haven't used it yet and have been wondering if I should.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
On an open road, with no approaching traffic, if adjusted properly, the high beam will extend your view, especially for reflective signs and eyes. Important if you are traveling more than 30mph.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I use my high beam quite often on bright sunny days to make myself more visible. Too the extent of having to replace it more often than the low beam bulb.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I always run high beam during daylight hours. Nighttime only go to low beam when meeting traffic, otherwise on high beam.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,315 Posts
A lot of people run their high beams during the day unless they have a modulating light.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I have my modulator hooked to the high beam. Just switch to low beam to turn it off. There is a light sensor that disables it at night, so running the high beam is possible in the dark without flashing.

I think it's ok to use the high beam during the day, and even a good idea. You do want to dim it at night for oncoming traffic, though.

·
American Legion Rider
22,195 Posts
A lot of people run their high beams during the day unless they have a modulating light.
Or if you have and use spot/flood or fog lights. At least I see no reason to run high beam when you are already supplying more light with these.

·
Visionary
3,963 Posts
State requirements for connecting floods and high beams vary.
I actually have mine in a non compliant setup that I prefer for my particular conditions over what's legal in PA...shhhhh

My setup, I have an extra switch on the top of the headlight bucket, behind the windshield.

Position 1( away from me) ;
Floods ON with high beam once the bike is running, OFF with low beam. I use this for riding in the nighttime on side roads when there may be oncoming traffic, high beam is on normally so everything is lit up so that I can spot deer, but a quick flick to low beam if there is oncoming traffic kills the floods as well so I don't blind people.

Position 2 (center);
Floods off, high beam switch controls headlight only. I rarely use this, the switch just happened to have the center OFF position.

Position 3 ( towards me);
Floods on anytime the key is on, high beam switch controls headlight only. I use this for riding in the daytime, and also at night on one way divided roads like the interstate, the floods don't bother other drivers much but they make me MUCH more visible.

The PA legal way is for the floods to be on with the low beam and off with the high, I have wiring for that in the bucket and can switch it in 3 minutes for inspection but it makes no sense to me to have it that way so I don't. My wife's are wired that way, she is law abiding to a fault and wouldn't have it any other way.

·
13,315 Posts
My floods are on with both hi and low

·
American Legion Rider
22,195 Posts
Same here Critter. The Harley floods were off with high beam. State requirement I believe for some states. I'm not sure of Texas cause as you can see, I've had it both ways and the Indian is new so apparently that way is fine here.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
High beams during daylight here too.

Nebraska law only allows auxiliary lights with dims, but there is no reason out in the middle of nowhere to worry about it. I doubt that anyone gets a ticket for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Nighthawk lights suck so I use high beams all the time. They're not as bright as a car's low beams so nobody gets upset and flashes their brights at me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use the high beam when it's early evening or if I'm coming up on intersections or other traffic concerns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still a very new rider (only since the beginning of the year). So, I haven't been riding at night. But, my daytime riding has always been with the low beams on. This is why I was asking the question. I wasn't sure I should have the high beams on during daylight hours or if it made a difference. Thanks for the input and keep it coming!

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
High beams are aimed higher, which causes them to be more blinding to oncoming traffic (this is in addition to being much brighter). For that reason, I only use Low Beams during the day, with a Modulator on the Headlight.

Is there a hard rule/law? Not really. I avoid the High Beam during the daylight for its aim, and I have the Modulator wired into the Low Beam only.

For greater conspicuity, consider installing a pair of 3-10 Watt LED's on the crash bars, up front. This will create a triangle of lights, just like you see on the front of locomotive engines. They did a scientific study, years ago, which determined that onlookers could accurately gauge the approaching speed, and relative distance of the locomotives which had the three-light configuration up front. Make sure the LED's are properly aimed, so as to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, day, or night.

By the way, the 3 Watt LED's will only light up the ground out to six feet. The 10 Watt LED's will reach out much further, to the point where they actually will help you see at night. The 10 Watt LED's will also likely be brighter than your High Beam -- remember to properly aim those lights... A bypass switch is a good idea, just in case you run afoul of LEO's, or inspectors. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use my high beam quite often on bright sunny days to make myself more visible. Too the extent of having to replace it more often than the low beam bulb.
Why would you use high beams during the day light hours? It's already light out? Theres no need for high beams..

·
Registered
1980 Honda CB125N
17 Posts
For the same reasons cars run daytime lights, it has been proven to substantially reduce the amount of crashes. A bikes high beam is not going to dazzle anyone in daylight hours but still makes you more noticeable to other road users.
I would go one step further and highly recommend a high visibility vest/jacket at all times.

·
Premium Member
7,992 Posts
A lot of the strobe lights, and lights on high beam during the day, are darn annoying. They also make you easier to hit.
Low beam and regular lights are sufficient. Take a defensive driving course and you may not need to glow during the day. It works for me.
At night on my Island it is dark. There are no street lights. High beam is on most of the time, but some of the street signs near corners, reflect so much I switch to low beam. Often in the fog low beam works best.
Back to strobe lights and super bright lights, most often seen on bicycles around here. They are really annoying and cause me to look away from them. If they veered into my path, they may get run over. I do have this type of event on my resume. UK

·
13,315 Posts
4 year old thread

1 - 19 of 19 Posts