Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Yamaha FZ1 and my headlights and console reset when I hit the high beam switch. I think it’s some kind of electrical problem perhaps a bad ground?
This occurs when the bike is not running so I think there is a sudden voltage drop when the high beams are turned on causing everything else to reset back to zero
Please help and let me know what it could be, if it's just a bad ground then how do I find it?

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,182 Posts
I’m not good at electronics but here’s where I would start. Three places, the headlight and bucket itself, the high/low switch and the main ground of the bike. Check and/or clean everything you can find in those areas. But the electrical gurus will have more detail if you don’t find an obvious problem in one or more of those places. Weekends are a little rough when it comes to real problem solutions. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Good suggestions; also, make sure the fuses are clean and tight, and the battery terminals, and any connectors between the battery and the console and light switch. It does indeed sound like Voltage drop, which could also be a weak battery, so measure it with the key off, and when switching the light, or have it tested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts