Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico, located at 7000+ feet above sea level. My 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750 made the trip fine in a truck and seems to ride well, with enough power once it gets going. But it can be slow to fire up when I try to start it. There's plenty of juice in the battery. Do I need to adjust the carbs or choke? Thanks for any advice from others living and riding at high altitude.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
At 7000 feet the air is a lot thinner, so your bike is most likely running too rich, (too much fuel). Over use of your choke will most likely increase the problem.
I would take it in to a shop and have them adjust the carbs. The newer bikes have fuel injection and will automatically adjust for altitude changes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
At what altitude or change in altitude do you normally need to adjust your carburetors? I am at about 800 ft above sea level now but plan on a trip with a maximum about 6000 ft above sea level.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A lot of the time, the jets need to be changed out to adjust the fuel mixture. I would check for any model-specific tweaks that might be able to be done before tearing into the carbs for a temporary trip. Putting in a less-restrictive air filter might do the trick on a temporary or even permanent basis.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
At what altitude or change in altitude do you normally need to adjust your carburetors?
After 5000 feet the air pressure changes. Most bikes will do ok at 6000 feet. I have taken my old Goldwing over Tioga Pass many times and that is just over 9000 feet at the summit, and I had no problems at all. However if I had lived at the higher elevations I would have tuned the bike for it. The only thing you will notice most likely is a loss of power.

·
6,993 Posts
If you are just going on a trip THROUGH high altitude there is no need to adjust anything but your bike/ car may run a little rich and be down on power during the trip due to less oxygen. 6,000 feet is insignificant.

Sam:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts