Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm up MA. I have been interested in riding for a while and finally decided that I need to just go for it. Taking the MSF class in the spring when the classes ramp back up again.

I have been contemplating if I should jump in and grab a used bike at a nice low winter price or just wait till I actually pass the course. Not really sure what to do there.

Anywho I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can on the forum and meeting new people :)

·
Visionary
4,664 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!
You ask a valid question, its a tough call, you are right about grabbing a deal now vs spring when prices are high but are you sure you are going to want to ride? Have you ever ridden before at all?

It's a wonderful thing if you like it, but riding is not for everyone, and the course is a good time to find out with little expense.

Used and small are a good way to start out for sure, and if you grab the deal of the winter I guess you can always sell it later at little or no loss if you decide it's not for you. Do you have any local riding friends who could help you out with checking out your purchase?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike thanks for the welcome!

I do feel pretty darn sure I'm going to like riding but really you never know until you try. I've never ridden before and I haven't felt comfortable trying before taking the MSF course. But I keep seeing decent (what I think is decent) deals on bikes and I'd rather pay lower price now than a higher price when the weather is nice. Luckily I do have a friend that rides and who is mechanically inclined that will help me so I am grateful for that.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
The most often given suggestion is to wait until you have taken the course and see if you like riding. But if you find a super deal get it. You can always sell it if you decide not to ride.

and

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice. I'll keep my eye out and if something pops up I may jump on it. Thanks again and looking forward to the forum and the ride :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The guys are giving you some good advice. I might add that you should go to dealers and sit on lots of bikes to find a style that feels good to you. You might come across a great buy and then find out that style makes your back or legs hurt.

Besides, it's really fun to shop and most salespeople will give you lots of info. They are usually slow in the winter and enjoy an occasional customer to talk to.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm up MA. I have been interested in riding for a while and finally decided that I need to just go for it. Taking the MSF class in the spring when the classes ramp back up again.

I have been contemplating if I should jump in and grab a used bike at a nice low winter price or just wait till I actually pass the course. Not really sure what to do there.

Anywho I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can on the forum and meeting new people :)
Welcome to the forum.
One possible outcome of taking the MSF course is that you realize you are not all that interested in riding. It happens. If that turns out to be the case for you, you will be glad you did not jump the gun and buy a bike ahead of time.
I know the answer for me after 50 years of riding but not all of us enjoy the same things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a dealer near me so I'll go check out some different bikes. I also signed up the the msf course. It's not till march so that'll give me time to check out some bikes and save up some more money.

Thanks again for the advice and thanks for the warm welcome!

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
If you've got the money, buy now!

If you decide you don't like riding, you can make a buck or 2 in the spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I went to a used dealer and sat on a couple different bikes. To my surprise there was a 2004 Honda shadow 600. It was pretty comfortable and the seat height was great which was something I was worried about. It has 23,791 miles and they're asking 2,789. There's a rip in the seat but other than that cosmetically to an untrained eye things look fine. Also seems like most places here have where you can put some money down and they'll store it until spring, like a layaway program.

What do you all think of this bike? Good bike to learn on? What about the price, think there's any wiggle room? What about putting money down now (for the storage) and picking it up in the spring?

Thanks in advance!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
KBB has it about $2400 in good shape, you might be able to do a little better if you buy it now.

The 600 is a decent bike, it doesn't have a lot of power and if I remember right, it only has a 4 speed transmission.

Can probably get a seat on ebay for not much money unless you don't plan on keeping it long.

It is a Honda, and I don't know of any real mechanical problems they had with them, so in my opinion, it would be a good bike to learn on.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's 12 years old, but it only has 24k miles on it, so it's as close to new as you could hope for at that age. If it's been taken care of it should be a great bike to learn on!

·
Registered
1 Posts

hi guys, from sunny UK where the weather is crap?

Just tackling a honda CB400A Hondamatic so hopefully I can exchange ideas sometime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry left thread dormant. Finally took the MSF course last month and got my endorsement! Found my first bike last week and went for my first ride around the block today! Got a 1975 Honda CB400f. Needs a little love but it's a nice little bike for me

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Good for you. That Honda will be a good learner for you. Both for riding and wrenching and understanding what makes them go.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts