Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been poking around on this forum for a while now to see if I wanted to be a part of it and, it's very enjoyable :coffeescreen: It seems to be full of some good riders. I am from North/West Montana, I ride a 2008 V Strom 650. I got into riding in the Spring of 2011 so I don't have a lot of exp. But, riding has become a real passion of mine. Most of my interests grow old very quick but my motorcycle continues to be my escape pod. I got my bike in the spring and my wife got her GS500f that summer. With no kids to speak of we would take off in a second to wherever! I never wanted to go anywhere before and now... I was planning trips and had ideas of places to travel to, very exciting! That Fall, my wife got pregnant and my plans well... they got put on hold. (Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but at this age...they don't exactly travel on the back of a bike very well Haha!) Now, I'm 30 years old and have two amazing children! I still can't ride around the US for weeks at a time but my wife and I still get out and ride whenever we can. I wanted to join this forum because like I said "it has become a real passion of mine." I'm here to learn anything I can, share what I have learned and, maybe even a laugh or two :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"Montana," eh?! I'm from the Northeast (Connecticut). Never BEEN to Montana. Frank Zappa wrote about your State in one of his songs (you're younger than my own daughters, so you may not even KNOW who Frank Zappa IS, but anyway).

I picture lots of open land, hilly or otherwise, and some very picturesque areas to ride thru.

It's a good thing that your wife likes to ride as well, although it remains to be seen "for how long" she loves it. "Life" tends to get in the way sometimes, ESPECIALLY for the ladies in our lives.

If I could impart (not that you are askin, but anyway) one piece of advice to you, young grasshopper, it would be:

Don't EVER let the bike (or any OTHER personal endeavor) become an obstacle between your duties as a husband and father, and your kids or wife!!

I have observed in my OWN life, that "things" that keep my wife and I, or my kids and I apart for any length of time (makes me think of OTR Truckers, for example) are things that you may want to curb. I have seen many a relationship go "south" because of personal endeavors that are pursued above all else.

In MY case, I was able to fix it before it DID irreparable harm. This is not to say that biking is bad for you. Certainly not!! In fact, it can be, and is, VERY therapeutic!! It's just that, after 37 years of marriage, the way to STAY "married" is to give your wife and kids "top billing" in your life, in ALL facets of your life.

The old saying, "If Mama ain't happy, NOBODY'S happy" is VERY true!!

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
My wife gets grouchy when she's not riding. We like to ride together, but we can also take off in different directions some times.

Welcome from Daytona Beach.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't EVER let the bike (or any OTHER personal endeavor) become an obstacle between your duties as a husband and father, and your kids or wife!!

-Soupy
I don't. But thank you for the advice. I see what you are talking about all the time but as for me, I've been married for 11 yrs very happily and nothing comes before my family, not even my motorcycle:).

As for NW Montana, it has large valleys and tall mountains. I live about 45 min from Glacier Park, 15 min from Whitefish mountain ski resort but at $70.00 a day....:frown: Great place to live if you can stand the winters.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Glad you decided to stick around Strom. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Also, congratulations on being able to share riding with your wife. Hopefully you will both be able to continue riding even though it may not be as often.

Montana is such a beautiful state. The last we were there was in 2010. We want to come back and spend some time at Glacier NP. How is that to ride through? I've heard it might be better to ride one of the buses through.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We want to come back and spend some time at Glacier NP. How is that to ride through? I've heard it might be better to ride one of the buses through.
I've never ridden one of the tour buses through GP. Just a car and a bike. I'm sure that the tour bus would be great for sight seeing and getting more info about the park. I would take my bike unless... I had to ride a long distance to get to the park. The bus could be a nice break.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
The park is just a little ride away...1760 miles. :D :D When we do come that way maybe we will take the bus round trip and then ride the bike the next day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks,
My brother in law lives in Seattle and when we visit I always think about having to ride a bike through the city. It seems like it would be intense. Do you feel more confident riding a bike or a car through the busy parts of Seattle?

My wife outright refuses to ride through Seattle on her bike. She said she would ride on the back of mine and I feel like I could handle it but I'm not 100% convinced. It seems my wife has more faith in me than I do :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hey thanks,
My brother in law lives in Seattle and when we visit I always think about having to ride a bike through the city. It seems like it would be intense. Do you feel more confident riding a bike or a car through the busy parts of Seattle?

My wife outright refuses to ride through Seattle on her bike. She said she would ride on the back of mine and I feel like I could handle it but I'm not 100% convinced. It seems my wife has more faith in me than I do :biggrin:
Funny you should ask...of the several thousand miles l have ridden on the street, less than 500 have been outside of Snohomish/King counties, essentially the greater Seattle area. I am always in traffic. I guess if l can handle that, l can handle anything, right?

The biggest thing about Seattle are the many distractions. Lots of bicycles, lots of walkers, joggers, dogs, skaters...in defense of the regular motorist who is just trying to drive his car to work, there is a lot to keep an eye out for. On top of it, they are really big on pedestrians having the right of way, so much so that walkers basically feel like they can step out into any crosswalk at any time, and they do. There are a lot of situations where near-pileups happen out of the blue.

All that being said, l keep my scanner going at all times and l am not in a hurry...the easiest way to get frustrated in traffic here is to be in a hurry. If you can ride patiently and keep your eyes up, you will be fine.

What neighborhood in Seattle do they live, can l ask?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He used to live on Capital Hill, but he moved and now I'm not sure where. I almost hit a few people driving around there in my car but that was before I started riding a motorcycle. I've noticed that I have become a much more alert and defensive driver since I got my bike. It kinda makes me feel like I was stupid before:confused: Traffic is NOTHING like that around here. If I have a close call it usually means an animal was involved ha! You got my respect for riding through that every day.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
He used to live on Capital Hill, but he moved and now I'm not sure where. I almost hit a few people driving around there in my car but that was before I started riding a motorcycle. I've noticed that I have become a much more alert and defensive driver since I got my bike. It kinda makes me feel like I was stupid before:confused: Traffic is NOTHING like that around here. If I have a close call it usually means an animal was involved ha! You got my respect for riding through that every day.
Well, for what it's worth, next to riding right in downtown, Capital Hill is about as bad as it gets around here. My neighborhood isn't quite as congested (I live in Eastlake, which is one neighborhood west of Capital Hill, near Lake Union) and there is at least one main drag that goes quite a distance, so you aren't forced to ride all those crazy curves and funky intersections.

The cool thing about where l live is l am 2 minutes from I-5, so if l go any distance l can just jump on the freeway, and that is just typical freeway driving, other than a real congested spot downtown with a whole mess of exits at the same spot, and the place where I-5 meets I-405, it is pretty simple riding.

There are actually a lot of neat country rides that aren't hard to get to here, l just bought my bike late in the season and haven't ridden them yet. Other than about a few mile radius around the area that you happened to be in, and a few really busy spots, most of Seattle is basically suburban America.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts