Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I've recently ( 2 months) returned to riding after 30 years hiatus, I'm so glad I decided to try a ride on my wife's bike after I worked on it for her. 5 minutes around an empty parking lot and I was hooked..stared shopping that day and bought a bike 3 days later! I ride a Yamaha Vstar 650, same thing my wife rides, her's worked for me so I went with it and having 2 virtually identical bikes will simplify maintenance and parts. I'm an industrial mechanic by trade, I've been a tinkerer my whole life so I'll be doing all my own work on bikes.

The last time I rode was around 1986 or so, I had an old beater Honda 400 from the 70s, I had fun but NYC was a pretty intimidating place to ride and after a year or two I drifted away and rode less and less as I got involved in other things. I never did have a license, just kept riding on permits. I am happy to say I got my M license for the first time last month, so I'm actually legal and everything :)

I was a little shaky the first few days, my first day on the bike I decided to take a 20 mile trip to a local doggy stand..I apologize to the folks stuck behind me at 25 mph on a 50 mph road but I survived the trip :) It came back quickly though, after a couple of weeks I was feeling pretty good, we celebrated my license success with a 550 mile weekend trip to Virginia a few days after I passed the MSF course. I've been tinkering already with my bike, changed a few things, making it more and more what I want and having a GREAT time, riding at least some distance most days and trying for a longer trip at least once a week, we did a 120 miler the other day to visit a local historic site. Between the course and a lot of riding and learning from my wife (she's an experienced long time rider, she rode my bike home from the dealer..had him laughing at the role reversal!) I'm already a better rider at 51 than I was at 20, maybe I didn't have the reflexes I had but I know more and think more and make up for it.

Onward to new adventures!!!

:71baldboy:

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!
I was just in your state 2 weeks ago, our long ride included quite a ways through Maryland on 15 on the way to Virginia (that's a beautiful bridge over the Potomac) and then on the way back we stopped at Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg so we took a different route back, on a couple of different roads, most memorable was the National Pike, it was a blast charging up and down the hills near Greenbriar State park.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Nothing wrong with the role reversal except a nick in your macho armer.:D Heck, I had them deliver my first as I was completely intimidated by it having never ridden before.:thumbsup: And.......

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome from NM. That's pretty cool that you started out again on your wife's bike. My wife doesn't ride any more except on the back with me but 15 to 20 years ago she wanted to learn and I got her a brand new VLX 600. She rode for years then decided she liked us riding double better so we sold her Honda. I rarely leave the house without her. That Yamaha 650 is a very nice bike, good choice.

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I like this place already!
:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!
I was just in your state 2 weeks ago, our long ride included quite a ways through Maryland on 15 on the way to Virginia (that's a beautiful bridge over the Potomac) and then on the way back we stopped at Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg so we took a different route back, on a couple of different roads, most memorable was the National Pike, it was a blast charging up and down the hills near Greenbriar State park.
You weren't far from me at all, ya shoulda stopped by and got me....Sounds like a great ride.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Great to hear you are back riding. Learning how to ride from your wife sounds like a great idea! You have been really nice to her lately...haven't you?? LOL Honestly, I'm sure she really wants you to learn so she will have a riding partner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey mike,
welcome neighbor, from allentown area 2 miles west of dorney park. maybe we'll hook up one day
walt

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Not sure where "Bangor," Pa. is
I spent from 2002-2005 living in "Milton",PA.

(Danville,Watsontown,Lewisburg,Selinsgrove,Sunbury areas)
Beautiful country there!
Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts