Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my name is Glen Logan, I live just outside Edinburgh in bonnie Scotland.
I'm a landscaper by trade and was given an old bike by a client, as it had belonged to a previous tenant who was no longer around. I really know next to nothing about bikes but thought that it may be an interesting project.
The bike is a 1980 Honda MB100. There is a fair bit of rust on certain parts; the petrol tank is rusted through but the frame is generally not too bad. I'd like to know if the engine is any good and will contact some local mechanics here for suggestions.
I like the idea of fixing this bike up, as it has great character when back to a good standard. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth it if the parts are not as readily available as they used to be. Also - what are the best ways to tell if the engine is seized or is no good? I can't start it as the tank is kaput, as I mentioned.
Any insights, or encouragement (or otherwise!) would be much appreciated.

·
American Legion Rider
18,917 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

Our regular members do like to know they are welcoming a real person.
Thanks for your introduction that some fail to do. We appreciate it.
We are friendly site here. Well, most of us

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,623 Posts
Welcome, does the engine turn over? You can bypass the fuel tank to test it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You can determine if the engine is seized by rotating the fly wheel bolt by hand. But you will first have to determine which direction your engine rotates. I'm not familiar with your modal, some rotate clock wise and others rotate counter clock wise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts