Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Used to ride a small regular bike way back long time ago. Z 250. When I was young and invincible. Wrote the bike off being stupid.
Got a small commuter which I rode for a few years. I was ok round town. Never really felt comfortable again. particularly on the highway. Got 4 wheels, Eventually I just found I wasn’t riding anymore.

Thinking of getting back on the horse. Signed up for a skills course. Lots of different choices. Not sure which way to go.
Contemplating a modern classic. They are all a lot bigger than I ever rode in the past. Get a smaller bike for a while first.
Or go straight for a bigger regular bike.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas.

I don't know anything about your size or age and I know what happens when you assume things. However, I reckon you're past your young and invincible days, so you probably would practice a bit more restraint than a hot blooded 16 or 18 year old. First off, buy a used bike. It hurts a bit less when you drop it, which you might not do, but if you do....

A new bike, new paint, glistening chrome, save that for after a couple years getting familiar with riding again. Besides, a used bike might not lose as much value if you decide to sell and get out.

Let us know a little more about you, I'm sure others will have ideas about what bike might "light your fire". Also if you're like 6'7" and 350 lbs. that might make a difference in what bike you might want to get, just like if you're 5'2" and 110, you probably wouldn't want a bike with a 4' seat height. :)

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Make a few more posts here and the rest of the site will open to you.
This is the spambot control at work. The sites attempt to insure you
are a real person and not a spambot. Other members like to know they
are welcoming a real person.:smile: And I believe you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures unless you use Tapatalk which
somehow gets around that restriction.#welcome

Tell us a little about yourself too.
We are friendly here.
Well, some of us
:grin:

Would have been great if you at least stated what state or even country you live in. It could help with answers you might get later. But at least you didn't hit us with a problem right off the bat like so many do. Then once they get their answer we never hear from them again. So I hope you enjoy your stay here. It really is a good forum and hope you agree.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
A little bit of info.
Vancouver BC. And Vancouver island . Mid 50’s, 5’ 11” rough guess 210 give or take a bit. My height hasn’t changed since I used to ride a bike. Can’t say the same about my weight.

I bought a shiny new bike of the show room once. It didn’t end well. Next one was a well used old two stroke which I found cheep and had to strip and repaint. Couldn’t afford another shiny one. I’d prefer to find a slightly used one.

I sat on a couple of triumphs a few days ago. They did offer to deliver one for me. According to the sales pitch it’s a good beginner bike. At 900 it’s a heck of a lot bigger than I’ve ever ridden before.
The triumph has a familiar feel just a lot bigger. A lot heavier.
I will look to see what Honda Kawasaki ect have as well.

Hope to get a chance to ride a few different bikes on the course. The school I’m doing it through uses the Grom for the skill test. Apparently it’s very easy to ride. It was the one which fits my schedule though.

Dirt bikes and sport bikes are not on my wish list. Regular road bike. To ride a bit in town and on one of the islands. Generally round southern BC at a mostly leagal pace. So I will want to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. Quite often drive up island or up to the okanogan
Came up a couple of dYs ago practically the summer solstice and it was snowing.

Cool hill climb on a nice day.

Will I go further? Don’t know.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I completed the MSA course and test on Thursday. Bought a bike on Friday. A triumph Street Twin. Rode it home stopping for a frapachino.
Had a few rides round town by myself over the weekend. Probably kind of annoying I am a bit slow taking it easy. Headed out of town on Tuesday decided to ride instead of drive to work. It was a ways. Vancouver to Port Hardy. Took a bit longer than driving and I was surprised by how cold I was when I got there. It had been pretty hot in town.
Lots of fun though.

I really like the Triumph so far. I was a bit hesitant to get such a large bike. In the end, I found it easier to ride than the school bikes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice choice in bikes. I am roughly your size, 71years old and ride a 41 year old Suzuki GS1000E. Much heavier and taller than your bike, but there are days I would appreciate something that size.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Gidday from a small Island in the Salish Sea.
If you like, let me know when you are going thru Nanaimo. Stop for a while, and I would be pleased to chat about riding.
The bike gang meets every Sunday at the South end of Parksville, 0930. I will probably be there on my Triumph Trophy. There are usually two Triumph Thruxtons show up.
There were more than one bike heading to Hardy last Tuesday. Including a couple of ladies. It was raining. No one looked happy.

UK

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well six months or pretty close from when I took the MSA course and bought a bike. I didn’t book the road test right away. I figured I would wait till I was more comfortable. I had to wait 3 months and go to unfamiliar location in Burnaby in the middle of December.

Feeling pretty good, passed the road test this morning, full unrestricted License.
Still a new guy.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
Congrats on passing the test. Keep the "still a new guy" attitude, and try to improve your skills and learn something new all the time.

Oh, and have fun!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,487 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Well done!
I'm going to give you the same advice the instructor gave our class when he signed our permits into licenses, it's served me well:
Ride often, ride every day, ride in any weather (our 2 day class was pouring rain the whole time), ride wherever you go. The guys that are safest are the frequent riders, the bike commuters, the daily riders. Weekend warriors are always rusty and relearning how to ride every time they go out.

Well six months or pretty close from when I took the MSA course and bought a bike. I didn’t book the road test right away. I figured I would wait till I was more comfortable. I had to wait 3 months and go to unfamiliar location in Burnaby in the middle of December.

Feeling pretty good, passed the road test this morning, full unrestricted License.
Still a new guy.

Reactions: bpe

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Good for the road test.
Two thoughts on the temperature. It seems to be colder North of Campbell River, and Tofino on the other side.
You usually start to cool off after about 50 km. Put on enough gear that you feel too hot when you get on the bike. This is especially true if you are going over any mountain pass. It is a bit cooler going over the Mallahat bump but not by a large amount. I have done it many times during the winter months, but not if there is any snow or ice about.
Anywhere North of Nanaimo you might get snow or ice, that you did not get to the South.
Bike gang Christmas getogether this Saturday in Nanaimo.

UK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts