Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI HAS ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA IF I COULD USE LIQUID RUST REMOVER IN MY TANK AS I HAVE GOT A LOT OF RUST IN MY TANK OF THE NEW MOTORCYCLE THAT I HAVE BROUGHT AND WHERE IT HAS BEEN STOOD FOR 6 YEARS AS ITS A SHOW STAND BIKE AND SHOWROOM BIKE WITH ONLY 2 MILES ON THE CLOCK THE INSIDE OF THE TANK HAS GONE VERY VERY RUSTY BUT I FORGET TO CHECK THAT WHEN I BROUGHT IT AND CAN NOT BY A BRANDNEW TANK FOR IT DOES ANY1 HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT WORK FOR GETTING THE RUST OUT/OFF THE INSIDE OF MY TANK?
AS I THOUGH GET A FEW LETRES OF RUST REMOVER AND PUT IT IN MY TANK AND SEE HOW THAT GOES BUT DOES ANY1 KNOW IF THAT WILL MESS IT UP?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
9 Posts
I heard of a guy who had a similar problem. He put in ball bearings and shook the gas tank big time. When he got most of the rust out he rinced the tank, washed it out and then sealed the tank. That way the sealer has something to grab onto rather than just old rust that may peal away and cause problems in the future.

· Registered
381 Posts
I would strongly not recommend any liquid rust removers unless you remove all the components of your tank, like the pet**** valve and fill cap. The very acids that remove the rust are the same acids that will eat the softer metals up...... like aluminum.
Capt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.