Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I've been looking at a few Honda Nighthawks ranging in years '83-'85. I've read good things but have also heard some not so great things about owning an older bike. This would be my first bike and I'd like it to last me a while and spend more time riding than wrenching, not to mention worry about the bike crapping out on me while I'm out for a cruise with my friends. If anyone has some knowledge or experience with 83-85 Nighthawk 650's any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, whats an average cost for a carb clean for a Nighthawk 650? I went to a local Honda dealer and the guy said $380 plus parts. Is that good? Sounds a little high if you ask me. Help me out, I'm new! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
83-85 Honda Nighthawks

First off, welcome to the forum from a fellow Illinoisan. My first bike, which I bought earlier this year, was an '83 Honda Nighthawk 650 and it was a perfect first bike for getting a feel of the road and learning to ride. There are a TON of Nighthawks out there so don't just jump at the first one you lay your eyes on, do your homework and look around. We are nearing the end of the season so you should be able to get a good deal on one.
As far as what to look for, they are pretty bulletproof as a bike overall as well as the engine. The only issue they are known for are having the automatic CCT (cam chain tensioner) go bad so you will hear a rattling at certain RPM's. This is where some people are split. Mine made the noise from about 3k-3200 RPM so I tried not to ride in that rev range, but overall it wasn't detrimental. If you are mechanically inclined and feeling motivated, changing this part is a perfect winter project, otherwise a dealer can change it (though kinda costly). If you find one without the noise, ask when it was changed and whether it was swapped with a replacement CCT or a manual CCT, in which case you'll just have to monitor this to maintain proper tension. Other than that, it is a great bike that is super comfortable and easy to ride. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey cool! I found a guy who's selling an 85 Nighthawk down the street from me and is asking 1500. Mechanically everything works, it runs, etc. The guy said it was 'mint'...apparently his definition of mint and mine differ. It's missing the right side cover, the front turn signals are broken off and dangling from the wires, and he even admitted that the bike and tipped over in the garage. From what i could see, there weren't any dents in the tank or exhaust, and the side cover and turn signals are a minor fix, but $1500 is a bit high for a bike that's been dropped, is missing and has busted parts. Do you agree?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was out of town on business last week. Hopefully this doesn't catch you too late, but I would say $1,500 for a bike that isn't mechanically perfect and cosmetically great from 5 feet is too much, keep looking. Have you found a bike yet? Also, where in IL are you from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries, I passed on it, and I think the guy sold it! It started up just fine, but cosmetically it needed at least another $200 to look good. If he got 1500 for it, whoever he sold it to got hosed, HARD! P.S. I'm in Crystal Lake, so I'm not too far from Palatine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to hear, keep checking craigslist and you should find something soon. Let me know when you get a bike and we can go for a ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts