Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forums and have a great little question to ask. Which sort of bike should i get next?? I have a harley sportster that I learned on and love. However I feel that I need something more, not much agility and maneuverability with harleys. My question should i go sportbike or supermoto??? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hi all, new to the forums and have a great little question to ask. Which sort of bike should i get next?? I have a harley sportster that I learned on and love. However I feel that I need something more, not much agility and maneuverability with harleys. My question should i go sportbike or supermoto??? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
I guess I am a bit dense but I always thought all of those crotch rockets were about the same.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well if a Sportster doesn't have much agility and maneuverability, then I'd guess you need more learnin.

Oldman, not all crotch rockets are the same, someof'em are red, some blue, some white, and some are red white and blue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To "Oldman"

I totally agree with your comments on this one.

When you have the great "VISION" that you do, with Victory, why go anywhere else. I currently have a great little 1995 Honda Magna....but as soon as we can rustle up the cash, our dream is to have a Victory Cross Country Tour!

IS there ANYTHING you do not LOVE about your Victory????? I believe its the best looking bike on the road. I was just as Motorcycles on Meridian (the nite before the big MOTOCROSS at the Indianapolis 500, there were THOUSANDS of bikes; all different all pretty, but the VICTORY VISION was absolutely the best!

·
6,952 Posts
If you really want a 'sportbike,' then I'd suggest a starter so you don't get yourself killed. Try a 500-600 or 650 but stay away from the Supersport 600's as they are very fast for their size and weight.

Sam:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well if a Sportster doesn't have much agility and maneuverability, then I'd guess you need more learnin.

Oldman, not all crotch rockets are the same, someof'em are red, some blue, some white, and some are red white and blue.
Some of them are even green. Says the Kawi rider.

np1, I think if you're looking for maneuverability the next question is whether you want to take it off road or if you'll strictly be on the tarmac, as well as which aesthetic you prefer more. Me, I'm in love with the sleek fairings of the sport bikes, which is why I ride a Ninja. But I think the more important thing is to figure out what you want it for.

I agree with Porky that if you do go with a sport bike, you should probably get a 600-650 and not a literbike because those things have a much smaller margin for error.

·
6,952 Posts
np1, Harley makes a fine bike that combines the reliability of the Sportster, it's lightness but takes a big step forward in performance. It is the XR1200 and it is a canyon carver and all around great bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I really just want to increase the fun factor. Harleys are heavy,

and let me just say this I really didn't expect this to turn into lets attack sportbikes. It was a simple question sportbike or supermoto? (no supermoto love? and I will not be getting any 1000cc sportbike)

How about only riders that have ridden various types of bike comment for now on. I don't want to see any hate from harley or sportbike diehards, stop being children.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
If you really want a 'sportbike,' then I'd suggest a starter so you don't get yourself killed. Try a 500-600 or 650 but stay away from the Supersport 600's as they are very fast for their size and weight.

Ninja250 or cbr250.

Great bikes to not only learn on but great all around.
Why all this talk of starter bikes? He said he's new to the forums not new to motorcycles. He learned on his Sportster, so now he can get a REAL bike :biggrin:.

OP: by all means look at 600 Supersports. If you can handle your Sportster with confidence, there is no reason that you can't handle a 600. They are not nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but they are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Why all this talk of starter bikes? He said he's new to the forums not new to motorcycles. He learned on his Sportster, so now he can get a REAL bike :biggrin:.

OP: by all means look at 600 Supersports. If you can handle your Sportster with confidence, there is no reason that you can't handle a 600. They are not nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but they are a lot of fun.
Agree!

There are lots of steps in between too, so the question of "what type of riding you intend to do" remains important.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

"Which sort of bike should i get next?? "

yep, he's an experienced rider alright.

·
6,952 Posts
Yeah, get off of a 40hp Sportster and put him on a 125hp, 600 Supersport bike---Not very smart there Hairdresser:)

The SS 600's lap times are as fast as the open class bikes.

He asks what he should get and then gets offended when we voice our differences and opinions.

Drive by poster.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts