Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Thomas from Montréal. I am a 45 years old kid working in video games.
I have been riding a vespa 50cc (upgraded to 80) for the past 5 years, and I am currently looking to move towards proper bikes (I camp a lot and the idea of going camping on a bike excites me a lot).

Most of my riding is in town and so far I have never had a speeding ticket nor an accident, touching wood.

Still on the fence regarding future two wheeler, either I keep going scooter (BMW C400GT or C600GT) or make a step towards proper bikes. If so, cruiser would be the way but also thinking about bobber or else.

I am reading your posts and advices and hopefully will learn a lot!

have a good one!

·
On The Road Again!
2,849 Posts
Welcome to the group, Thomas.
The scooters are great around town.
But if you are planning on going camping on the bike, you need a machine
that can carry a lot of luggage, so forget about the bobber. Those things
can barely carry the driver. A mid size cruiser would be good. With a luggage
rack on the back and saddlebags, you'll be good to go! Plus you always have
the passenger seat to lash another bag onto.
Again, welcome to the forum!

·
American Legion Rider
19,392 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome from Ontario. One thing to consider is having to switch gears scooters are great in a city for that reason. I prefer a stick shift in cars and love rolling through the gears on my bikes but if I had to drive in Toronto/Montreal often I'd want an automatic.
I don't know about the weight carring ability of big scooters but some people do use them for touring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just back from Montreal Moto expo, I would go straight to the BMW C650GT (Great for touring too) but the 650 needs a refresh and upgrades the C400GT has already. I really like the size of the 400 for commuting, top speed is adequate for highway but limited touring. Really on the fence at this point but yes, Maxi/medium scooter seems to be the most intelligent choice for me based on my needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts