Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not only new to this forum, I've never owned any bike/cycle! I think I
want to change that, before I buy my first, I want some questions answered, then I'll make my decision. I'd appreciate your time and info. BTW, I'm a 68 year old Retired Insurance Brokerage Exec. I've always driven a P/U or SUV. I've always thought ridin' a cycle was so cool. When I was a kid, 6yrs old, a neighbor thought it would be cool so he put me on the back of his cycle, big ol' Harley, an he opened that sucker up as fast as it would go, I was scared as much as I possibly could have been. Now it's time to ride on my own time, etc.
Thank-you Folks! Best wishes!:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix, AZ! I'm new here, too and will become a rider for the first time in a very, very, long time as soon as I get my Honda 305 back on the road. What are you thinking about getting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a big guy, even though I'm losing a lot of weight, 75# so far. I really would like a Cruiser. Probably a Honda or Kawasaki. Probably for 1100 to 1300., maybe even 1500. Outside of that, just trying to learn. I appreciate your reply!:coffee:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I would highly suggest taking a basic riding course. May as well start on the right foot. And....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Hogcowboy, take the BRC if at all possible. It will help you gain some of the basic skills you need to ride. It will also teach you the things to watch for to keep yourself as safe as possible.

Good Luck to You!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely get all the basic knowledge first, you will surprised to learn a lot even when you think you almost know everything about bike riding. Good luck getting all necessary tips for your first bike according to your body build and age.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Welcome from North FL .. Lots of Good Choices out there for a New Motorcycle .. Do some Searching here as well as stopping by a Few Dealers and see what really Looks and Feels Great to you .. Most Important take a Motorcycle Safety Course so are sure you are comfortable with Riding and the learning itself pays for itself 10 times over ..

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
A friend of mine decided to get a bike when he retired. He too, had never ridden before, went and bought a small cruiser and tried to learn on his own. Dropped the bike three times the first week, scared himself silly and sold the bike. Take a course... you'll be glad you did! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, definitely take the course! And go with a smaller, more agile bike; you'll be glad you did.

I started riding at 55. Got a Honda Rebel 250 and it was great for me to learn on. I'm 6' 185 lbs. Now I have a CB500X (I'm 59). It's plenty fast and powerful for me but still great fun.

Don't go too big to begin with. Remember your neighbor's Harley. And just get a used bike, too (I highly recommend Japanese for reliability and price); you won't feel so bad if (when?) you drop it. Craigslist is a good place to start.

Oh and don't skimp on safety gear; mine cost more than my Rebel did. Learn about ATGATT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts