Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, I dont have a motorcycle right now but i want to get one in the next few months. what bike do you (everyone) recommend for: 6' 3" 240lbs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome new guy! Consider what you type of riding you want to do before making a purchase. For example, do you intend to take long tours? If so you will want something that is all-day comfortable. On the other extreme, if you want something to carve the canyons then a 900lb touring bike probably wont work for you. There are lots of good articles on the subject to help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome new guy! Consider what you type of riding you want to do before making a purchase. For example, do you intend to take long tours? If so you will want something that is all-day comfortable. On the other extreme, if you want something to carve the canyons then a 900lb touring bike probably wont work for you. There are lots of good articles on the subject to help you out.
Thanks, I think a KLR would be the best right now because it has enought power and its somewhat "sporty" , it would be more comfortable on longer rides (not super long maybe 4 hours) and it would be fun to just be able to go explore FS roads if i get bored on a long ride lol

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!:biggrin:
So, where are ya from? Have you taken the BRC yet? ( its Worth the effort!) I would suggest what many do on the forum, go to various dealers and try sitting on their bikes, by that I mean sit on them, see how the controls feel, how does the size,weight feel etc. Just my .02:)
Regards
Ed

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Given your height, I'd think about a Suzuki DRZ of somekind. Duel sport types are taller. At 5'11" I still tippy toed my DRZ400. My height is in my legs not the upper body so much. And......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from East Tennessee!:biggrin:
So, where are ya from? Have you taken the BRC yet? ( its Worth the effort!) I would suggest what many do on the forum, go to various dealers and try sitting on their bikes, by that I mean sit on them, see how the controls feel, how does the size,weight feel etc. Just my .02:)
Regards
Ed
Ok thanks! I'm from Eastern Washington. no I havent yet. I would like to though. (i dont know what the laws are there) but...If you pass (in tennessee lol) you dont have to take the DMV skills test do you?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you do not already own a bike I am going to suggest that you get one that will no way be your final choice. Yes, I did say that. I ride a bike that you might just love a year or two from now but today it would bury you.
In my opinion you need to start out by acknowledging that you know nothing about riding. In that situation you will take the Basic Riding Course, BRC, and it will help you understand what riding is all about. Most places passing a BRC will get you a bike license without further testing. That is your starting point. Once you have your license start by going to bike dealers and sitting on anything new or used in the place that appeals to you.
Now keep in mind that you are new and many bikes will give performance that you are just not ready to handle. Yes, that is way harsh, which does not make it untrue.
I suggest that you get something you think is just too small and underpowered for you but that suits your riding style. This guy gives you a bit of perspective on that aspect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvYM2Z0usMg

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

The BRC is a godsend. Teaches you what you need to know the right way. It also lets you know if ridding is for you or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts