Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Left. No, the other left.
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the forum NYC about 2 weeks ago looking for general info on gear and bikes before I get my first one - looking for a 500cc standard or cruiser.
So far everyone I've run into has been very helpful, and I'm enjoying reading through the threads.
Looking forward to hanging around.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Go out shopping. Sit on as many as you can. You want something you feel comfy on. When you find the right one, you will know. It will scream to you. You are smart to be looking at a smaller bike to start. I've already got my "upgrade" bike on my mind. You don't need to have all the bells and whistles, matter of fact, it will probably distract you too much. I love my basic bike. It allows me to do what I love to do best....Ride......

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zippy. That's what I was thinking. I was going to start with a 250 to get some experience on a lighter, less intimidating bike, but being in NYC, I need highway power to get out of here.
I think I've hit just about every manufacturer site there is so far, next is to start hitting the dealers.
Pity there's no Royal Enfield dealer near me. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't just look at pictures on the net. I've seen many bikes on the net that I thought where god awful ugly. But when you see them in person, it's a totally different ball game. I didn't like my bike by the picture on the site, but it screamed out at me when I saw it in person. Everytime I stop somewhere, there's always one person who has to stop and look at it. The wench in me wants to punch them in the face, but the nicer side of me lets it go...

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Eye_M, nice to meet you.

The problem there, Zippy, is then I have to let my nicer side be in control.
Bleagh. ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
But are they good bikes, or will I get stuck in the shop every few weeks?
They are made in India but you can't beat the price brand new. Really good gas mileage. I have seen one of the older models at my friends shop. Nothing major. They look like a solid bike certainly a good starter bike. I remember a day when the original was one of the fastest bikes in town, funny how things change, now they are considered a starter bike. Some basic wrenching skills will make your experience a lot nicer, Murphy makes sure they all break down as far from civilization as you can get.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Way back in the day a Royal Enfield was a decent reliable bike. Who knows what they are today with manufacturing moved out of England. A brand is not all there is to a bike. Do you believe that a HD Street 500 from India is as high quality as a main stream HD? I have my doubts but have seen no evidence one way or the other. You are the one who must take that chance if they appeal to you.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
The Harley Street 500's and 750's for the US and Canada are made in Kansas City. The Streets sold in India and Asia are made in India. Supposedly they are identical, but since the ones made in India can't be imported to the US I doubt I'll ever see one to find out.

The Royal Enfields now are a completely different company then the old classic bikes. The name is the same and they look similar, but they are not really related. I have heard that they're actually a rugged bike, but not a performance monster. I don't have any personal experience with them though.

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. Sadly, after looking around, there are no local Enfield dealers. Still, since I like the bikes, probably worth it to drive out to one to at least sit on em, maybe take one for a ride. I see them turn up on craigslist and ebay from time to time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts