Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for being here. Im new to motorcycles. Im repairing my sons bike and if forums like this wasnt here id be lost. My names Mary , sorry almost forgot to introduce myself. Anyways im glad your here got some problems on a virago gotta study bye y'all thanks again

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Welcome to a great forum Mary.:grin:

Your repair project may be quite a task if you are new to motorcycles as you stated.:wink2:

What city and State do you live in?

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im from Bauxite, Arkansas. Im very new to the whole motorcycle repair thing. I usually work on atvs or mowers but my sons bike is leaving him stranded and i cant deal with that well at all so im going to fix it. The bikes older than he is tho but its the one he wanted so i guess, here i am. Im glad forums exist cause id be lost if they didnt lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 1989 yamaha virago 750, his 1st bike. Ive changed the coils on both sides. Still having power loss intermittently while driving. Only firing on one cylinder. Drives great up the street but when i turn around it starts acting crazy and then i struggle to get it back home i suck at wiring but im thinking it might be electrical. Anyone have a similar problem, maybe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
my son had an 82 virago 750, and was having some similar issues. after cleaning and tuning carbs a bit, he eventually found that the plug wire to the rear cylinder had over 1Million ohms of resistance. it uses non resistor plugs and copper core wire with the resistor in the plug endcap. He bought 10ft of wire and 2 new resistor caps (NGK from Amazon) and we replaced the cables and it ran better than it ever has. I might have more info for you if you can give me some more specific stuff you have tried and whatnot cause he went though a lot on his. but i would start with an ohmmeter on the plug wires and coils.

also make sure you arent losing flow to one of the carbs, maybe one of the petcocks is a little clogged?

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Make a few more posts here and the rest of the site will open to you.
This is the spambot control at work. The sites attempt to insure you
are a real person and not a spambot. Other members like to know they
are welcoming a real person.:smile: You have to make 15 posts before
you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege to be
able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which
somehow gets around that restriction.

We are friendly here. Well, some of us
:grin:
I certainly hope we can help in your repair. We have some very knowledgable folks here but give them time to respond as they have real jobs as well. Be patient and give as much detail as you can when asking questions. Good luck.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,521 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've replaced petcock, put in new plugs, and changed oil. Ill try the ohmmeter and test to see what it says. We have cleaned the carbs but we need to replace the orings thank you. He loves this bike. I was afraid he got took on it but hopefully well figure it out and thank you for the help. I dont think anything weve worked on really had the loose of power to couls like this i was also told it could be wires under the headlight but i hate wiring it just makes no sense to me lol but ill get it, i hope.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Gidday from a small Island in the Salish Sea.
I just bought some small O rings at the local auto parts store. 1980 XS1100 Yamaha. probably has similar petcocks to yours. You can test for leakage and operation by blowing in to a fuel line connected to the petcock. You can maneuver the vacuum part as well.
Apparently the cheap kits available do not work very well.

UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, are you really from an island? Thats too cool. We went to get orings we have to replace them today its a small thing to do but hopefully itll help thank u for the info i do appreciate it. Ill let ya know if it helps and really cool you get to see the ocean ive only seen it once in texas its got to be beautiful there anyways i gotta figure this out the kids driving me crazy lol he wants to ride and isnt a mechanically inclinded person at all so he looks to me for alot of this and on motorcycle im kinda clueless if it was an atv i could handle that lol thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
We all had to go thru a learning curve with these things. It takes time.
If you google Silva Bay you will find me. It is 800 steps down the road. Gabriola Island will also find me.
There are hundreds of islands in these parts and incredible places to visit and explore.
When a 20 foot Orca surfaces 10 feet from your boat, it does tend to startle.

UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had to change the oil again because i cant remember to clear the cylindera before i tey to start it and im thinking the other day i remember getting a little shock from the wires so i wanted to make sure he was here to do the test so were doing it tonight.ill let you know tomorrow and thank you for checking i appreciate it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts