Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself, where do you live, what do you currently ride, how long have you been riding? Your not buying the CB1000 as a first bike, are you?

As for buying a 3 year old leftover, if it's new then no worries, it's still under covered as new by the manufacturer. If not, I still wouldn't worry much, low mileage bikes sit in garages for years with no real care, start right up with fresh gas and a battery, and rarely have any issues from sitting unless they were left out in the rain or something like that. If it's the right bike for you and the price is right buy it.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
The only thing I would warn you of is the tires. They are already 3 years old so you might be tempted to push them in a couple of years when they might still look like they have plenty of tread. But change them anyway. Don’t push it. That’s if you don’t wear them out before then. Other than that, go for it. (y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
There’s an easy fix for that problem. Wear them out before they time out. You have about 2 years, get going!

It’s a great point, I’m so used to riding a zillion miles a year that I never even think about old tires.

The only thing I would warn you of is the tires. They are already 3 years old so you might be tempted to push them in a couple of years when they might still look like they have plenty of tread. But change them anyway. Don’t push it. That’s if you don’t wear them out before then. Other than that, go for it. (y) (y) (y)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Surteez

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I once bought a brand new bike that was 2 years old at the dealership. Never had any problem with the bike, the dealer did the first 5 hundred mile service/inspection and that was it. Never had a problem with the bike so I didn't need the dealer anymore except for oil filters and accessories that I installed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My current Bike was a 1yr leftover. The only small problem I've had was a signal light bulb issue that some electrical grease has seemed to fix. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a leftover again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
I’m so used to riding a zillion miles a year that I never even think about old tires.
I'm with there Mike. But I read over and over where for some people a long ride is 20 miles. And there normal ride is less than 5 miles. I almost get that many just getting to paved roads. This time of year it takes 20 miles before the tires are warm enough to really work as designed.

Reactions: mike721

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
Don't know any riders that consider 20 miles a solid ride for the day, certainly not 5 miles. Must grow then different in Texas. I do know guys that only 2 or 3 days a week and usually the weather here has much to do with it.. 5 miles, really?!?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a CBR 600 this year - 2008 (11 yr old) with only 12000 on the dial.

Upon reading the history/receipts, it had only done around 140miles in over 6yrs.

It was clean, showroom condition, smart and sexy. As someone mentioned above, the tires looked brand new but there were too many cracks for my liking so I asked the dealer to change both tires for an extra £100 on the asking price (which they did) - then all I did when I took her home was drain all the fluids (oil, fuel, rad, cool, breaks) full flush, top up, changed air filter. Was going to change the plugs but upon removal they didn't look touched so they remained in (wise move) and she was good to go.

For my first 300 miles I treat her like a brand new bike, eased her in, kept an eye and ear out throughout each mile to see if there was anything I had missed and then after 300miles I was confident we had bonded and she was okay so the fun commenced.

Good luck

·
On The Road Again!
4,191 Posts
Don't know any riders that consider 20 miles a solid ride for the day, certainly not 5 miles. Must grow then different in Texas. I do know guys that only 2 or 3 days a week and usually the weather here has much to do with it.. 5 miles, really?!?!
I do. I have a friend that has TWO Goldwings. I don't think he's put 1000 miles on either of them
since he got them several years ago.
And then there is the local bar.....I'll head out for a ride and see a bunch of bikes parked outside
the bar on a beautiful day. I'll be heading home later with 100 miles or more under my belt and
the same group of bikes will still be sitting there. The only thing they rode all day long was
the bar stools.
On the other hand, the small club I ride with considers a 100 mile ride to be too short.
MOST club rides are around 200 miles or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts