Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a trip on a motorcycle makes me HUNGRY!! I guess it's all that extra stimulus that comes from being on a motorcycle. Being "out there;" and "in the wind" and all that.

When YOU get "HUNGRY," .........what kind of eating establishment do YOU look for, to stop at??????

For "me," it's CRACKER BARREL!!!!!!!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
943 Posts
Up here only a couple of the major cities have "big chain" eateries - every place else is the local diner (unaffiliated). In the smaller places it is usually best to look for the restaurant with the most local farm trucks - there you get good value and (usually) descent food. Along the major truck routes, watch for places that have a lot of highway semis parked - but they can be few and far between.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If we're on a ride we go for cheap, fast, and hopefully something with less then a thousand grams of fat. That can be hard to find though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
On road trips I stop at non-chain restaurants just to try something different. On long trips I will also stop at grocery store delis to have sometime healthier.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
they are getting harder to find around here, but back several years ago when we would go to the lake to my Grandpa's (3 hours away) we would stop at a little hole in the wall place....what we called a greasy spoon....cheap prices, good food and you got a lot of food for your money

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Depends on the day and the distance we're riding, you don't want to eat too much and then feel groggy on the bike afterwards. But it's usually a burger or Mexican food, if we've got a long way to go Donna and I will split a meal.
One of the guys we ride with loves Onion Rings, but only the home made type with the crumbly crust. It was getting pretty comical listening to him ask the waitress about what kinda rings they had, only to get the beer battered type when it was promised they weren't.
Finally one day I said "Tim, take a picture of those rings with your phone for the next waitress". It still gives me a chuckle every time he pulls his phone out and shows the waitress the ring photo.
The man likes his Rings.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
Where we eat is often as important as where we ride. In Fact, our rides are often planned around where we're planning to eat.:biggrin: In southern Wisconsin, the curvy roads and rolling farmland scenery is great and so are all the little towns you find along the way. And theres no shortage of awesome mom and pop places, whether cafes or brewpubs, (most in interesting and historical buildings) to eat. Many are also bicycle and snomo pit stops as well, so over the years we've learned all the best places. And we're still discovering new ones. And rarely eat at the same pitstop more than a few times a season. A certain cajun burger two hours away comes to mind. I might need to call the guys, its supposed to be in the 40s-50s this weekend.;)

·
6,507 Posts
My favorite 'breakfast rides' have been the same basically for 50 years although in different states: Fill the bike up and point it in some interesting direction with the aim of getting lost and seeing new places. I normally end up a hundred miles from home, sitting in a quaint, little country style café, enjoying a 4,000 calories meal of Ham and eggs, biscuits and gravy, with hash browns!!!!! The biscuits and gravy alone take up their own plate.

No matter where I go, I eventually see a highway that I remember and then meander my way back home, where I won't need to eat until the next meal:biggrin: I disdain fast food places and rarely eat from there: too many pimple faced, bugger picking, High School drop outs in there for me:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I don't care as long as it is a place I don't have at home.

Depending on the amount of time I want to spend waiting on food, some places may be overlooked. If I've been riding for an hr, chances are I'm not willing to wait a 1/2 hr for food(unless that was the destination).

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Any convenience store that has non-ethanol gas and a bathroom. Doesn't matter if it's a hot dog, slice of pizza, or just a sandwich out of the fridge. Grab a tank, drop a stink pickle, and stop the stomach churning. Take a little break from the saddle and get back on the ride.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Any convenience store that has non-ethanol gas and a bathroom. Doesn't matter if it's a hot dog, slice of pizza, or just a sandwich out of the fridge. Grab a tank, drop a stink pickle, and stop the stomach churning. Take a little break from the saddle and get back on the ride.
Be careful of those gas station deli's. We had have to leave our first ride to Colorado early, after he contracted a 72 hr. puke and squirt bug about two hours after eating a deli hot dog.

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
I'll go out of my way to find that joint the locals go to. Can't stand the chains! I'll go without first. Which isn't a problem with the extra storage I've gained.:D

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Be careful of those gas station deli's. We had have to leave our first ride to Colorado early, after he contracted a 72 hr. puke and squirt bug about two hours after eating a deli hot dog.
I have had problems after eating at large chains but was never enough to keep me from work or travel. Fortunately I can eat just about anything without getting sick. Guess it comes from living with an immune system that has never been babied or assisted.

I eat more to survive than to enjoy, there has yet to be a restaurant invented that serves better food than I fix in my own kitchen.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
If we are just taking a day ride to somewhere to eat and ride back home it's usually a bbq, steak or fish place. We have a large selection of non-chain places within 200 miles of home that include scenic rides to get to. We like to take one route there and another home.

If we are on a long trip we normally eat whatever is provided at the motel for breakfast. If they don't provide anything we just hop on and ride. We like to stop by 5:00, find a motel, shower and then go eat.

We usually ask at the motel for a good place to eat. Very seldom have they sent us somewhere not good. Since that frequently is our only meal of the day we don't want fast food.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If we are just taking a day ride to somewhere to eat and ride back home it's usually a bbq, steak or fish place. We have a large selection of non-chain places within 200 miles of home that include scenic rides to get to. We like to take one route there and another home.

If we are on a long trip we normally eat whatever is provided at the motel for breakfast. If they don't provide anything we just hop on and ride. We like to stop by 5:00, find a motel, shower and then go eat.

We usually ask at the motel for a good place to eat. Very seldom have they sent us somewhere not good. Since that frequently is our only meal of the day we don't want fast food.
Good food at the end of a scenic ride sounds good to me MONI. It is supposed to get up to 40 tomorrow, where do we meet up?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts