Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a motorcycle and my elderly neighbor passed away and left me his 1967CT 90, he left me the title, original owners manual, keys etc It hasn’t run in many many years and I’m trying to figure out how to get it going. So I joined this forum. I dont know where to start, so am open to direction. Clearly people like these when I was trying to determine if it was any good.

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have never owned a motorcycle and my elderly neighbor passed away and left me his 1967CT 90, he left me the title, original owners manual, keys etc It hasn’t run in many many years and I’m trying to figure out how to get it going. So I joined this forum. I dont know where to start, so am open to direction. Clearly people like these when I was trying to determine if it was any good. View attachment 60866

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
looks good. They are well liked and great bikes. It looks like you have two sprockets on the rear wheel. So it will not have a hi low shifter. It is probably a push rod motor. I thought by 67 they were OHC with the speed gear box. But I could be wrong. You need fresh gas, and clean carburetor, good spark and compression. They are 6 volt.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts

First thing is does the motor turn over or is it locked up.

Reactions: Billy D

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 60867

First thing is does the motor turn over or is it locked up.
That thing looks awesome! Hope you get it going!
Wow, thanks all...it turns over ..just one kick...Gas tank is empty but no rust I can see, 6v charge on it now. From what little I have researched (straighten me out here), I will put 89 octane unleaded in it, with seafoam (?), then see what happens. Next step might be to rebuild carb. He said when it ran, gas came out, so maybe a sticky float? Also, please look at cylander head photo. Is this hole normal? Regarding the sprockets, weird right? Minimal research tells me these should have been non-manual low shifting too?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ive had some fuel leak from mine after a ride. Didn't see it dropping until the next day. Probably a sticky float. Seafoam seems to work pretty well. Probably ought to run some more through mine soon. I don't know anything about these so hopefully someone that does will chime in. Try to get some ethanol free gas it will serve your machine better in the long run. Get it running and go from there.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Can you take a pic a bit further away from the hole. Please say you have two sprockets at the rear wheel. One ip tie is enough for the fuel line. Three attachments is over kill. Take the carb apart and clean it. Make sure you can see thru every hole and jet. Make sure the slide goes up and down smoothly and easily. You pay have to oil all the cables. Make sure they slide easily. I will look at mine tomorrow regarding the hole.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Oh wow, it has the double sprocket even. I suggest you just give it to me and be done with all the hassle of getting running. :D :D :D

You are one lucky dude but I guess you know that by now.

WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

Reactions: Billy D

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you take a pic a bit further away from the hole. Please say you have two sprockets at the rear wheel. One ip tie is enough for the fuel line. Three attachments is over kill. Take the carb apart and clean it. Make sure you can see thru every hole and jet. Make sure the slide goes up and down smoothly and easily. You pay have to oil all the cables. Make sure they slide easily. I will look at mine tomorrow regarding the hole.

UK
I will take a picture of the cylinder shortly in the meantime here is the rear wheel.

UK
Oh wow, it has the double sprocket even. I suggest you just give it to me and be done with all the hassle of getting running. :D :D :D

You are one lucky dude but I guess you know that by now.

WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?
hi, what is the value/deal with a double sprocket? There is a low/hi switch by the right grip, but I can't see how it will switch the gears.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I will take a picture of the cylinder shortly in the meantime here is the rear wheel. View attachment 60877

hi, what is the value/deal with a double sprocket? There is a low/hi switch by the right grip, but I can't see how it will switch the gears.
Never had one myself but I believe you have to manually change it to take advantage of it. Maybe someone that has one of these puppies can confirm that.

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never had one myself but I believe you have to manually change it to take advantage of it. Maybe someone that has one of these puppies can confirm that.
thanks, I got the battery charged...the low hi switch is for the headlight it appears. I will look into the gears being manual, that's wild if so.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
The speed transmission is shifted with a lever just like the gear box. Before the 2 speed and before the OHV engine, before the modern shocks, in 64 and 65 we had the CT200. That is pretty much what you have. But Honda changed it to a CT90 which made more sense. The CT200 was very successful, so the made some modern changes.
The two sprockets are for changes the overall gear ratio. Use the small one for flat roads, and the big one for the hilly jungle. The big one requires an extra length of chain. I have a 65 CT200 that looks just like your bike, only it has been used and abused, ridden hard and put away wet. I need a few parts to get it running again. Maybe next winter after I have my new cottage built, and the sheds finished and warm.

UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an 1971 ATC90 which had the same motor and it had hi/low range on it. Look underneath the cover by your left foot heal, to see if there's a lever there? It would be underneath that oval cover. That oval cover is where the hi-low gears are, I believe.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
If a CT90 has 2 rear sprockets and a push rod motor, it will not have the 2 range gearbox. Better to find a newer CT90 with the OHC motor, modern forks, one rear sprocket, and look at it. I will not be looking for the newer model. These older units are part of history.

UK

·
Registered
1967 Honda CT90
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks...weird, I can't find the switch. I will look again. Since it was gifted to me, I'm impartial. If I were to get a newer bike, it wouldn't have a motor at all. ;—) But, I'm all in on this crazy ride. It gets cooler and stranger every time I look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks...weird, I can't find the switch. I will look again. Since it was gifted to me, I'm impartial. If I were to get a newer bike, it wouldn't have a motor at all. ;—) But, I'm all in on this crazy ride. It gets cooler and stranger every time I look at it. View attachment 60897
As Unkle mentioned, because you have the 2 sprockets, they maybe didn't have the 2 speed high/low. If you enlarge the pic below, right underneath the downshift lever, you will see a "n" looking lever. It has a light gray vinyl cover on it. It's right above the kickstand swivel bolt, slightly to the rear. The bike below has it in high gear as it's in the back position.
You have a gem of a bike there! Your neighbor must've thought highly of you. Remember the man as you cruise on your CT90!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.