Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link to a vidvideo on what's going on with my motorcycle. I didn't plug up the tube that come out of the carbs meant for coolant when I bipassed them. That might be the problem but I don't know. By the way this is am 02 yzf600r thundercat. http://youtu.be/aqnEqk8d5f8 thank you for your help!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
OMG.... SMH.... Dear God man, what have you done??!!

Those screws located between the carbs should never, ever be turned unless you completely understand the workings of the carbs. They are the synchronization screws and require special gauge tools to set them. They are used to make sure that each carb works as much as the others, or no harder. Each carb needs to open at the same time and the same amount. The only adjustment(s) that can be made to the average carb is done with the idle adjuster. The air/fuel mixture screws are usually factory-sealed and require drilling to adjust. They rarely need attention.

As for the coolant issue. Those coolant lines going to the carbs serve as carb heaters. They can be bypassed (I do it often here in Hawaii, as they are not needed here), but if you have coolant coming out of vent hoses, then I would assume they are not bypassed correctly.

I fear you need more help then what this forum can provide. I suggest you take the bike (or at least the carbs) to a good shop and explain EVERYTHING that you turned and tweaked. A good mechanic can set the sync screws close enough to get it running, but he will then need to hook up proper gauges to set it proper.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
So sorry it isn't a minor thing Tman. But it ain't all that bad either. The fact that bike starts is a good thing. Tis best you let a pro get her set up and running and then start learning to do needed service as you go. Make sure you have a GOOD service manual for your model bike. Clymer are the best (IMHO) and stay clear of Hanes' manuals. I've been working on bikes for 40 years, and you'll often find me consulting the manuals!

Good luck, Hope she's up and running soon!! Keep us posted!!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, like OneEyedJack said, don't turn that screw.

I can't really accurately diagnose an issue via the internet, but a wild guess would be that it sounds like it isn't running on all cylinders - not as smooth as a 4 cylinder bike should be. I would get it idling and carefully pull spark plug wires off of the plugs, one at a time. The engine will die if the cylinder is firing. If you pull one and there is no change, that cylinder isn't doing anything - now you have it narrowed down. Wear gloves and use pliers if you don't like getting shocked.

If you're going to use a water bottle as a gas test tank have a fire extinguisher nearby.

Good luck!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Ya, like OneEyedJack said, don't turn that screw.

I can't really accurately diagnose an issue via the internet, but a wild guess would be that it sounds like it isn't running on all cylinders - not as smooth as a 4 cylinder bike should be. I would get it idling and carefully pull spark plug wires off of the plugs, one at a time. The engine will die if the cylinder is firing. If you pull one and there is no change, that cylinder isn't doing anything - now you have it narrowed down. Wear gloves and use pliers if you don't like getting shocked.

If you're going to use a water bottle as a gas test tank have a fire extinguisher nearby.

Good luck!
Hmm... Normally, pulling plug wires would work as you described. But he has altered the sync of the carbs. I would wait for the bike to be totally cooled off (header pipes are cold to the touch), then fire it up and let her idle for 20 to 25 seconds, then shut her down. Then all ya gotta do is (carefully) feel the header pipes. The ones that are hot are running ok, the cooler (or cold ones) are not firing as well. The OP stated that the idle was turned way up just to get it to stay idling... that indicates it's running on less then 4 cylinders, so yes CmonStart. you are quite correct. The only reason I'm adding this post, is that on many sport bikes, just getting to the spark wires is a pain. Feeling the pipes is sooo much faster and easier. Unfortunately, feeling the pipes does not tell you if the problem is carb or spark, but in this case, I'm gonna start with the carbs.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"Cudo's" for not being afraid of digging into the bike, but agree with having a Service Manual around, (and a trustworthy mechanic nearby when even the "Manual" doesn't make sense!!).

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
When you take it to the mechanic remember the number one lie we hear is, "My buddy was trying to help me with this and he didn't know what he was doing and screwed it up."

:biggrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahahaha, i'll be sure to man up and and admit to my many errors. It's my first bike and my brother in law and I decided to tackle it as our first project, (he has an 03 r6). But its at least good to know we need a professionsals advice. Any idea where I might be able to order the right service model for my bikes make and model?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts