Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was 49 degrees, and I needed a jacket when stepping outside with one of my dogs. I had wanted to wash my bike after my ride a few days ago of 300 miles in heavy rain, but I will wait until later in the day when it is a bit warmer. And so I face another Fall season. Good for riding, when an armored jacket and heavy gloves feel comfortable rather than stifling, but a sure sign that winter is sure to follow. I've ridden about 7,000 miles this riding season so far, and likely will get to ride another couple of thousand, so I should not complain. But at my age I know that I don't have an unlimited number of seasons stretching out ahead of me, so each year when I winterize and put the bike away for a few months it reminds me of my own mortality.

Don't bother with telling me about moving to the South and being able to ride year round. Other considerations keep me, at least for now, in the Midwest. Just venting about the cooler weather as a harbinger of the snow and ice that is sure to arrive, and with it, the end of my two favorite outdoor activities: riding my motorcycle, and riding my bicycle.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I rode into work last night. I had to wear a few layers, as it was a bit chilly. Kind of sad that may only have another month or so of daytime riding, nights might start getting too cold for me. I admit, I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold. I'm not ready yet to call it a season.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I very fortunate where I live - and in that I don't mind riding in the cold weather with proper gear. I probably won't have to park the bike for more than a few weeks at a time, thru the winter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Don't bother with telling me about moving to the South and being able to ride year round. Other considerations keep me, at least for now, in the Midwest. Just venting about the cooler weather as a harbinger of the snow and ice that is sure to arrive, and with it, the end of my two favorite outdoor activities: riding my motorcycle, and riding my bicycle.
Fine, stay up north then. I don't want anymore motorcycles or bikes clogging up my roads. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to move further south, but maybe not the FAR south. I lived in San Antonio for many years and never really got used to the humid heat. I think I rode less living there than living in northern Illinois. But with the housing situation still really bad here I would have to take an enormous loss if I sold my home. Plus, this is near 8 of my 10 grandchildren and if I miss their younger years I will never truly be a part of their lives. As much as I love riding, there is more to life than riding a motorcycle.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Wow! I'm welcoming the cooler air. Beats the 101º-108º rides I've been doing. Just got back from a nice ride even.

·
8,572 Posts
It was COLD this morning at the start of my 158 mile ride. 50+- degrees when I left and 70 when I got home. A few leaves have fallen already. Sam:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The only way I can tell when Fall arrives is that people who don't live in places like I do start whining about Fall arriving.

That, and my neighbor's grapefruit tree starts showing fruit.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I drove by the bank when I home from work last night around 1130PM. It was 41°, but I was still fairly comfortable, except legs were a bit cold. I had the long johns on, but they don't block the wind as much as I'd like. The gloves are good to about 40° and the jacket about 35°. My only problem I had was I wore my 3/4 with shield helmet, but it was fogging up some. I had to move it up a couple notches, but the balaclava did its job and kept my face mostly warm.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
60 in North FL this morning .. Time to break out the Jacket .. Usually don't have to do that til Mid October here .. No More Highs above 85 all week long .. Glad to see that 90+ stuff gone ..

·
8,572 Posts
Every Fall or early Spring, I think back on how much I enjoyed my 2000 BMW K1200LTC and my 2012 Goldwing because of their Heated grips and heated seats and their big windshields and fairings. With the proper clothes, the riding season lasted a lot longer.

The Burgman 650 Exec has a fantastic aftermarket, "CLEARVIEW" fairing and the basic design keeps most wind off of the legs so the scoot is pretty good in cold weather. The new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster only has a little ineffective windshield about 12 inches high and 8 inches wide, just effective enough at speed to keep wind off my chest. I wear a full face helmet so the ride isn't an issue in "Normal" weather.

Where does one live in this world that isn't affected by the weather??? This is the $64,000 question???

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
San Diego probably has the best year round weather for riding, but I would have a hard time accepting the rest of what goes with living in California, including taxes and unacceptable restrictions on my 2nd Amendment rights. Maybe northern Arizona might be the best compromise, and that might be where I end up in a few years.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
The only way I can tell when Fall arrives is that people who don't live in places like I do start whining about Fall arriving.

That, and my neighbor's grapefruit tree starts showing fruit.

I thought it was all the New York tags suddenly in town. Or is that winter?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chaps will help with the cold. And don't mind the "Village People" comments that you will likely receive.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Love the fall. Crisp morning air that makes you glad your alive. The changing colors of the leaves, evening hayrides and bond fires with the grandkids, etc. And getting a great nights sleep with the windows cracked open, minus the noisy motorcycles. :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts