Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell on yourself. We've all done it. Usually its just a little...something that makes you slap your own forehead when you realize what you have done.

After babysitting all week (lucky grandpa) I was going riding this Saturday morning! Got my helmet, hat, jacket and cell phone and out to the trailer I went.

Before rolling the bike out of the trailer, I started it because I had been having problems and I didn't want to get it out and it not start.

Anyhow I checked the petcock, made sure it was in neutral, turned on the key, checked the lights, hit the starter and it fired right up. I try to remember to turn the fuel off when I park it, but I don't always do it.

I rolled the bike out of the trailer and was letting it idle while I stowed away my phone and hat in the saddle bag, cleaned my sunglasses and put my gloves and helmet on.

Then the bike started missing. Acted like it was running on 2 cyclinders again! I tried to rev it up but it wouldn't, then it died.

I don't know if I said any bad words out loud, but I'm sure I thought of a few of them. Well start checking a few things out. I found it.

I try to remember turn the fuel off when I park it. I forgot and when I checked it was turned on, so just before starting the bike, I must have turned it off! It ran out of gas. Because I turned the petcock to off.

I'm glad I found the problem, but it was me. I guess I remember to turn it off enough that its a habit to turn it on, but when its already on... :rolleyes:

I started this thread saying we all do these things. Do we? Or is it just me? :sad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, it’s not just you.

Every now and then I'll shift into neutral instead of second and look around all confused for a moment.

Sometimes I hit my horn instead of my signal and jump out of my seat.

And there's always the signal I forget to cancel.

I could go on....

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
One day I did not tuck in my scarf correctly. Stopped for coffee and the zip on my jacket got stuck on the scarf, about an inch or two from the top. Had to get a girl and her guy, to pull the jacket off by the arms, and the neck. Made a good scene in the coffee shop.
I try to remember to tuck my scarf in more carefully.

But back to the petcocks. There are two on Yami that need turning on. I often forget to do that, and Yami dies in about 200 yards.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
That petcock thing is one reason I like fuel injection so much. No longer fiddle with that thing. Now you want stupid?
How about going for a beautiful 200 to 250 mile day ride and successfully get back to your house/parking spot and
sit there for a few seconds just thinking to yourself what a great ride and you didn't screw up one time. Then get off
the bike to go into the house or other living quarters. Leave anything out? Yep, how about the kick-stand where you
realize that little fact about the time you release your hand of the handlebar grip. Done that 3 times now and look
around knowing everyone possible just saw you do something incredibly stupid.:sad:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
As I read RG's story, I was thinking that the last time I'd done something REALLY stupid was last summer when I tried the ol' "invisible kickstand" trick with similar results to HC. Being in a Sheetz parking lot at crowded intersection, my audience was BIG! Needless to say, I need some work on that trick! :smile_big:

how about the kick-stand where you realize that little fact about the time you release your hand of the handlebar grip.
But then I read Lovely Nancy's post and realized "Oh, yeah..."

Every now and then I'll shift into neutral instead of second and look around all confused for a moment.

Sometimes I hit my horn instead of my signal and jump out of my seat.

And there's always the signal I forget to cancel.

I could go on....
I've done all 3 at some point in the last week! :surprise:

My "stupid" cannot be contained! I can only hope to minimize it! :smile_big:

Reactions: -Nate and Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
In 56 years of riding, I've done all of the above a few times:grin:

Since I ride mostly SOLO now, I call my 150+- Saturday morning rides my nourishment rides and head out on usually rural and deserted roads to get to one of several great places to chow down!:wink2:

One time I got about 40 miles into a great ride and glanced at my fuel gauge and it was really getting low so I knew of a station maybe 15 miles away, so I planned to fill up there. I pull up to fill the bike and reach in my front pocket for my wallet and it wasn't there and I had no money nor a credit card on my at all:surprise:

I was upset that I couldn't get gas but more upset that I had to forgo Chicken fried steak, eggs and biscuits and country gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!! POOP:sad:

I took a different route home, riding in a high gear at 40 mph and made it home just fine:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Oh boy has I ever done that stop switch more than once on the Goldwing. Crank crank crank crank (why wont it start...doh!) flip crank, POP! geez.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Kill switch for me, never use it. Got stopped for road works ridding with a group. Used the kill Switch. Traffic finally started moving, jumped back on the bike, hit the starter and nothing. Checked to make sure I was in neutral, put the kick stand up, clutch in nothing worked.

Was on a hill so I tried bump starting it nothing, by now my riding partners were down the hill and across the bridge, still nothing. One of them was coming back to see what is wrong. Went through everything in my mind and nothing. He pulls up along side, I said it wont start. He reached over and moved the kill switch and said try it now. Vroooomm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes, but its not just riding, is it ?
How many times have any of you, walked into a room, then thought, what the heck am I doing in here ?
Then, once you get back to the saloon, or if ashore, in the living room, you remember why you went into the other room, to begin with ??
Gettin Old , is Scary !!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many years ago, on a bike I can't even remember, but before safety switches were on everything, I jumped on my bike, started it up and took off. I was still in first gear when I started to make a right turn.

I made a 90 degree right turn because my kickstand dug in to the ground, lifted the bike off its wheels and I just pivoted on the kickstand. I didn't drop it, but I haven't forgot the kickstand in a long, long time.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Yes, but its not just riding, is it ?
How many times have any of you, walked into a room, then thought, what the heck am I doing in here ?
Then, once you get back to the saloon, or if ashore, in the living room, you remember why you went into the other room, to begin with ??
Gettin Old , is Scary !!!
I have gone out to the garage a few times with intentions on doing one task, forgot what I was planning on tinkering with, and done completely different things thinking I might remember. Wife comes out and asks me if I was ever going to come back with those garbage bags she had asked me to restock in her kitchen.

Reactions: -Nate

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I forgot my cell phone yesterday and I almost panicked :smile_big:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Ah yes, the horn.....
I have a really LOUD air horn on my bike.
The horn button is on the left grip.
I also added a ham radio to the bike.
The push-to-talk button is right next to the horn button.
Can't count how many times I've started to say something on the radio and get a loud blast of the horn instead. LOL!!

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
I took that to the next level, lost my cell phone in my office, looking all over my desk, shuffling papers, getting close to panic that I couldn’t find my phone. So close in fact that the person I was talking to heard it in my voice and asked what was wrong. I replied that I couldn’t find my phone anywhere. She said I bet I know where it is, paused then dropped the bomb..,” it’s in your hand, your talking on it.”
Yup, I really did that.

I forgot my cell phone yesterday and I almost panicked :smile_big:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: -Nate and Porky

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I meant to say a left turn up above...

How did we ever manage without cell phones? Used to go riding with friends, all day long. No way to contact anyone if anything happened, parents didn't know where we were, what we was doing and didn't even start to worry unless we weren't home by bedtime.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
That's funny Mike:smile_big:

How about frantically looking for your reading glasses and having your Wife tell you they are on your nose:crying:

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stopped Saturday to check on a guy I thought might be broke down. When he said he was okay, should have left right then, but I didn't. The guy was high on meth and was starting to get a bit,...crazy.

When he calmed down for a few seconds, I said nice to meet you, and left. Rode through there about 15 minutes later and he was gone.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I wonder if putting some 'METH' in the gas tank would make the bike FASTER????:grin::grin:

Sam:surprise:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts